- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Lakers news: Pau Gasol will have offseason surgery on knees
- Updated: May 9, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol will undergo a knee procedure designed to alleviate tendonitis in both of his knees, the team announced on Thursday.
The operation is called the FAST Technique procedure, in which a probe is inserted into the knee and uses ultrasonic energy to isolate scar tissue without damaging any healthy matter. Once the procedure is complete, the medical staff will announce a timetable for recovery, though such a minor procedure is not expected to put his status for next season in any jeopardy.
The four-time All-Star struggled both on the floor and with regard to injuries in 2012-13, and played in just 49 games during the regular season, starting 42. In addition to falling out of favor with head coach Mike D’Antoni and losing his spot in the starting rotation to a resurgent Earl Clark, Gasol suffered through plantar fasciitis, a painful injury in his foot that severely limited his mobility and athleticism.
Among the most tradable assets this offseason is Gasol’s $19 million expiring salary set to come off the books in 2014. It stands to reason that if the Lakers can get any real value in return without taking on any long-term salary, then they may make a move to acquire a more athletic four to accommodate D’Antoni’s system. His health will play a big factor in that, so the injury concerns, though minor, are worth following this offseason.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015