- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Lakers news: Pau Gasol will have offseason surgery on knees
- Updated: May 9, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol will undergo a knee procedure designed to alleviate tendonitis in both of his knees, the team announced on Thursday.
The operation is called the FAST Technique procedure, in which a probe is inserted into the knee and uses ultrasonic energy to isolate scar tissue without damaging any healthy matter. Once the procedure is complete, the medical staff will announce a timetable for recovery, though such a minor procedure is not expected to put his status for next season in any jeopardy.
The four-time All-Star struggled both on the floor and with regard to injuries in 2012-13, and played in just 49 games during the regular season, starting 42. In addition to falling out of favor with head coach Mike D’Antoni and losing his spot in the starting rotation to a resurgent Earl Clark, Gasol suffered through plantar fasciitis, a painful injury in his foot that severely limited his mobility and athleticism.
Among the most tradable assets this offseason is Gasol’s $19 million expiring salary set to come off the books in 2014. It stands to reason that if the Lakers can get any real value in return without taking on any long-term salary, then they may make a move to acquire a more athletic four to accommodate D’Antoni’s system. His health will play a big factor in that, so the injury concerns, though minor, are worth following this offseason.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014