- Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
Did San Diego Chargers do enough in 2013 NFL draft?
- Updated: May 7, 2013
General manager Tom Telesco was bold in the selections he made in the draft but one question still remains: Did the Chargers do enough? While that may be one question that comes to mind, the real question might be this: Will the real Philip Rivers please stand up?
While Rivers might be regarded as an elite quarterback, he has certainly not lived up to that label the past couple of seasons. As the leader of this team, he has turned the ball over 55 times in the past two seasons. In that same time, he has only thrown just 53 touchdown passes.
His quarterback rating of 88.7 over the past two seasons is below his career average of 94.5 and is well below his three-year average of 103.9 for 2008-2010.
Since 2008, Rivers has been on a steady decline in production and the Chargers have suffered. It is time for the eight-year veteran to step up and be the leader of this team and get them back into the playoffs.
Rivers’ troubles can be attributed to poor offensive line play the past couple of years and the lack of a consistent running game. But it is time for him to set himself apart and live up to his elite status by making the players around him better akin to Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.
The Chargers have done enough in the draft to create excitement coming into the 2013 season but it will be up to Rivers strong right arm to get this team to the playoffs and beyond.
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles area based sports journalist. Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- Should Angels fans expect a deep postseason run into 2014? - July 12, 2014
- 1 player the Angels should target via trade - June 25, 2014
- MLB Draft 2014: Angels 3 best and worst picks - June 22, 2014