- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
- Jets vs. Chargers: Bolts’ run defense has tough test Sunday
NBA Playoffs 2013, Knicks vs. Pacers: Orlando Johnson gets no run in Game 1 win
- Updated: May 5, 2013
For no apparent reason, former UC Santa Barbara superstar Orlando Johnson found himself out of the Indiana Pacers’ rotation when the team defeated the New York Knicks in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals on Sunday.
Johnson, a rookie originally from Northern California, has been a catalyst off the bench for the Pacers during the regular season, where he appeared in 51 games, averaging 12.1 minutes per contest and 4.0 points per game. In the playoffs, when teams typically cut their rotations down a man or two, he’s dwindled to 3.0 minutes per game in just four games.
He didn’t see any game action on Sunday at Madison Square Garden. He was hitting his stride as a pro and contributing valuable minutes down the stretch in the regular season, now he’s been relegated to the bench, collecting more DNPs than field goal attempts. Others have wondered the same thing:
Someone want to explain how Orlando Johnson lost his rotation spot?
— Mike Prada (@MikePradaSBN) May 5, 2013
It’s going to be interesting to see how coach Frank Vogel proceeds and if he’ll continue to give the nod to other reserves like Sam Young, who notched just over five minutes in Game 1. We’d like to see more of Johnson — but then again, we’re a little biased. It’s what we do.
Follow the author on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014