- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
NBA Playoffs 2013, Knicks vs. Pacers: Orlando Johnson gets no run in Game 1 win
- Updated: May 5, 2013
For no apparent reason, former UC Santa Barbara superstar Orlando Johnson found himself out of the Indiana Pacers’ rotation when the team defeated the New York Knicks in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals on Sunday.
Johnson, a rookie originally from Northern California, has been a catalyst off the bench for the Pacers during the regular season, where he appeared in 51 games, averaging 12.1 minutes per contest and 4.0 points per game. In the playoffs, when teams typically cut their rotations down a man or two, he’s dwindled to 3.0 minutes per game in just four games.
He didn’t see any game action on Sunday at Madison Square Garden. He was hitting his stride as a pro and contributing valuable minutes down the stretch in the regular season, now he’s been relegated to the bench, collecting more DNPs than field goal attempts. Others have wondered the same thing:
Someone want to explain how Orlando Johnson lost his rotation spot?
— Mike Prada (@MikePradaSBN) May 5, 2013
It’s going to be interesting to see how coach Frank Vogel proceeds and if he’ll continue to give the nod to other reserves like Sam Young, who notched just over five minutes in Game 1. We’d like to see more of Johnson — but then again, we’re a little biased. It’s what we do.
Follow the author on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014