- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
Kobe Bryant’s feud with mother aired out via Twitter
- Updated: May 4, 2013
The well-documented financial dispute between Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant and his mother, Pamela, took an awkward turn on Saturday when Bryant vented his frustrations on the matter via social media.
— Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) May 4, 2013
It’s incredible how much substance there is to this sub-140-character rant.
First, as I’ve written many times, Bryant has historically been one of the most enigmatic figures in the sports world and rarely let fans and even his own teammates in. Then, in one fell swoop, he suddenly embraced social media and became candid and transparent. A look through his timeline will yield many fun facts, witty remarks on all things NBA and interaction with fans.
Basically, Kobe became the anti-Kobe in the virtual world and decided he’d give himself to fans.
But this is something entirely different. He’s venting on a very personal matter, and letting the world know his side of the story when he really didn’t have to. He implies that his mother gave him no warning and that he’s hurt by the matter — that instantly humanizes him more than he’s done so already by opening up via Twitter. It also shows that no matter how rich and famous someone is, that it may never be enough.
There are so many questions about this bizarre and unfortunate set of circumstances. But here’s what we know:
TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit and reported that the two sides were entrenched in a battle over memorabilia that includes Bryant’s 1998 All-Star ring, trophies from his prep career at Lower Merion High School, Lakers jerseys and shorts and several other items. Bryant’s mother is selling the items in order to help purchase a new home.
Before doing so, she struck a deal with Goldin Auctions on a $450,000 advance. Mama Bryant claims that Kobe gave her all of the items on his own accord, while the star guard is disputing that claim. Now that the courts are involved, it’s out of their hands and a judge will rule on the matter. The case is still open as of Saturday afternoon.
Again, there are far more questions than answers. What did he give his mother? Better yet, what has she taken from her son already as the statement implies? What’s her take on the matter?
This story can’t have a happy ending. For a mother and son that seemed to be on the mend after troubles early in his career, that’s beyond sad.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014