- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Jarrett Jack opted for free agency over contract extension
- Updated: May 4, 2013
Golden State Warriors guard Jarrett Jack would not take part in any contract extension talks during the season, according to a report by Marcus Thompson of Bay Area News Group. The team initiated contract talks back in January but Jack wouldn’t listen to any of it, for he wanted to focus on the season at hand.
Expected to draw a ton of interest this offseason, Jack is in the last year of his current deal that pays him $5 million this season. Given the role he’s played in the Warriors’ successful season, he has been a very effective contributor both as a bench and late-game option. Jack averaged 12.9 points and 5.6 assists in 29.7 minutes off the bench this season.
Despite coming off the bench in relief of Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, he is the catalyst of the second unit and almost always in the lineup at the end of close games. As a ball handler, playmaker, scorer and leader, Jack was first viewed as a security blanket in case of a Curry injury during the season. Instead, he was one of the key components for the team’s current playoff run.
Once the offseason starts, he will likely receive interest from teams needing a starting point guard, including the Utah Jazz, Charlotte Bobcats and Toronto Raptors.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013