- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Jarrett Jack opted for free agency over contract extension
- Updated: May 4, 2013
Golden State Warriors guard Jarrett Jack would not take part in any contract extension talks during the season, according to a report by Marcus Thompson of Bay Area News Group. The team initiated contract talks back in January but Jack wouldn’t listen to any of it, for he wanted to focus on the season at hand.
Expected to draw a ton of interest this offseason, Jack is in the last year of his current deal that pays him $5 million this season. Given the role he’s played in the Warriors’ successful season, he has been a very effective contributor both as a bench and late-game option. Jack averaged 12.9 points and 5.6 assists in 29.7 minutes off the bench this season.
Despite coming off the bench in relief of Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, he is the catalyst of the second unit and almost always in the lineup at the end of close games. As a ball handler, playmaker, scorer and leader, Jack was first viewed as a security blanket in case of a Curry injury during the season. Instead, he was one of the key components for the team’s current playoff run.
Once the offseason starts, he will likely receive interest from teams needing a starting point guard, including the Utah Jazz, Charlotte Bobcats and Toronto Raptors.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013