- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Kobe Bryant exit interview: Lakers star tells GM Pau Gasol is key
- Updated: May 2, 2013
“I want Pau here,” he said via Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News. “It’s not a question or discussion. He gives us the best chance to win titles.”
The 7-footer famously helped the Lakers win their last two NBA championships in 2009 and 2010 under legendary head coach Phil Jackson. But times have changed in Laker-land, and now there are several new challenges afoot as the Lakers move into an offseason of uncertainty.
The biggest question is whether or not Gasol and Dwight Howard can truly co-exist under head coach Mike D’Antoni. Gasol was benched and indicated that the two bigs had trouble producing when they were on the floor together. Adjustments toward the end of the year and in the absence of Bryant suggested otherwise. The Lakers’ front office has some important decisions to make moving forward. Gasol is owed $19 million in 2013-14, and the Lakers will be on the hook for a hefty luxury tax bill, especially if they retain Bryant as expected despite his injury.
As a No. 7 seed in this year’s playoffs that barely made the postseason, the Lakers need wholesale changes. They primarily need to get younger and more athletic, neither of which fits Gasol’s profile. However, with the team built to compete for next year, Gasol could fit in if D’Antoni is willing to compromise.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015