- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Kobe Bryant exit interview: Lakers star tells GM Pau Gasol is key
- Updated: May 2, 2013
“I want Pau here,” he said via Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News. “It’s not a question or discussion. He gives us the best chance to win titles.”
The 7-footer famously helped the Lakers win their last two NBA championships in 2009 and 2010 under legendary head coach Phil Jackson. But times have changed in Laker-land, and now there are several new challenges afoot as the Lakers move into an offseason of uncertainty.
The biggest question is whether or not Gasol and Dwight Howard can truly co-exist under head coach Mike D’Antoni. Gasol was benched and indicated that the two bigs had trouble producing when they were on the floor together. Adjustments toward the end of the year and in the absence of Bryant suggested otherwise. The Lakers’ front office has some important decisions to make moving forward. Gasol is owed $19 million in 2013-14, and the Lakers will be on the hook for a hefty luxury tax bill, especially if they retain Bryant as expected despite his injury.
As a No. 7 seed in this year’s playoffs that barely made the postseason, the Lakers need wholesale changes. They primarily need to get younger and more athletic, neither of which fits Gasol’s profile. However, with the team built to compete for next year, Gasol could fit in if D’Antoni is willing to compromise.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015