- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way
- Trail Blazers: ‘Rip City’ is a legitimate Western Conference threat
- Seahawks vs. 49ers preview: Seattle can clinch NFC West with season sweep of division rival
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning
- Why Brent Burns is the key to success in San Jose
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
- Los Angeles Clippers’ bench needs to step up in place of J.J. Redick
Kobe Bryant exit interview: Lakers star tells GM Pau Gasol is key
- Updated: May 2, 2013
“I want Pau here,” he said via Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News. ”It’s not a question or discussion. He gives us the best chance to win titles.”
The 7-footer famously helped the Lakers win their last two NBA championships in 2009 and 2010 under legendary head coach Phil Jackson. But times have changed in Laker-land, and now there are several new challenges afoot as the Lakers move into an offseason of uncertainty.
The biggest question is whether or not Gasol and Dwight Howard can truly co-exist under head coach Mike D’Antoni. Gasol was benched and indicated that the two bigs had trouble producing when they were on the floor together. Adjustments toward the end of the year and in the absence of Bryant suggested otherwise. The Lakers’ front office has some important decisions to make moving forward. Gasol is owed $19 million in 2013-14, and the Lakers will be on the hook for a hefty luxury tax bill, especially if they retain Bryant as expected despite his injury.
As a No. 7 seed in this year’s playoffs that barely made the postseason, the Lakers need wholesale changes. They primarily need to get younger and more athletic, neither of which fits Gasol’s profile. However, with the team built to compete for next year, Gasol could fit in if D’Antoni is willing to compromise.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors - December 6, 2013
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way - December 6, 2013
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets - December 3, 2013