- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
- Chargers, Kevin Faulconer begin new stadium talks
Kobe Bryant exit interview: Lakers star tells GM Pau Gasol is key
- Updated: May 2, 2013
“I want Pau here,” he said via Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News. ”It’s not a question or discussion. He gives us the best chance to win titles.”
The 7-footer famously helped the Lakers win their last two NBA championships in 2009 and 2010 under legendary head coach Phil Jackson. But times have changed in Laker-land, and now there are several new challenges afoot as the Lakers move into an offseason of uncertainty.
The biggest question is whether or not Gasol and Dwight Howard can truly co-exist under head coach Mike D’Antoni. Gasol was benched and indicated that the two bigs had trouble producing when they were on the floor together. Adjustments toward the end of the year and in the absence of Bryant suggested otherwise. The Lakers’ front office has some important decisions to make moving forward. Gasol is owed $19 million in 2013-14, and the Lakers will be on the hook for a hefty luxury tax bill, especially if they retain Bryant as expected despite his injury.
As a No. 7 seed in this year’s playoffs that barely made the postseason, the Lakers need wholesale changes. They primarily need to get younger and more athletic, neither of which fits Gasol’s profile. However, with the team built to compete for next year, Gasol could fit in if D’Antoni is willing to compromise.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014