- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
- Jets vs. Chargers: Bolts’ run defense has tough test Sunday
- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
NFL draft results 2013: Chargers take chance on Keenan Allen
- Updated: April 26, 2013
The San Diego Chargers made waves when they took Manti Te’O in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, and they made another bold move when they took wide receiver Keenan Allen with the 76th overall selection in Round 3.
The star out of Cal came into the draft with a lot of questions around his character and integrity as he was red-flagged for a drug test. Now that he’s made it, he’ll have a welcome opportunity to showcase his reported strong work ethic and dedication to the game. Much like Te’O, he’ll be able to focus on football on the proverbial media island that is San Diego.
But there is no question that Allen is a dynamic playmaker who can come into a struggling San Diego offense and make an impact right away. Chargers receivers were a near non-factor in 2012 as Philip Rivers struggled to stay upright. He had a career-high 49 sacks, and the Bolts addressed that issue in the first round by selecting D.J. Fluker out of Alabama.
Now, they can get back to the business of becoming a potent offense once again after ranking 20th out of 32 teams in scoring in 2012. Allen will help the vertical passing game in all aspects immediately.
Grading drafts is the biggest crapshoot in sports, but in terms of star power and value, the Bolts have done themselves and their fan base a great service with the likes of their first three picks.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014