- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
NFL draft results 2013: Chargers take chance on Keenan Allen
- Updated: April 26, 2013
The San Diego Chargers made waves when they took Manti Te’O in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, and they made another bold move when they took wide receiver Keenan Allen with the 76th overall selection in Round 3.
The star out of Cal came into the draft with a lot of questions around his character and integrity as he was red-flagged for a drug test. Now that he’s made it, he’ll have a welcome opportunity to showcase his reported strong work ethic and dedication to the game. Much like Te’O, he’ll be able to focus on football on the proverbial media island that is San Diego.
But there is no question that Allen is a dynamic playmaker who can come into a struggling San Diego offense and make an impact right away. Chargers receivers were a near non-factor in 2012 as Philip Rivers struggled to stay upright. He had a career-high 49 sacks, and the Bolts addressed that issue in the first round by selecting D.J. Fluker out of Alabama.
Now, they can get back to the business of becoming a potent offense once again after ranking 20th out of 32 teams in scoring in 2012. Allen will help the vertical passing game in all aspects immediately.
Grading drafts is the biggest crapshoot in sports, but in terms of star power and value, the Bolts have done themselves and their fan base a great service with the likes of their first three picks.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014