- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
NFL draft results 2013: Chargers take chance on Keenan Allen
- Updated: April 26, 2013
The San Diego Chargers made waves when they took Manti Te’O in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, and they made another bold move when they took wide receiver Keenan Allen with the 76th overall selection in Round 3.
The star out of Cal came into the draft with a lot of questions around his character and integrity as he was red-flagged for a drug test. Now that he’s made it, he’ll have a welcome opportunity to showcase his reported strong work ethic and dedication to the game. Much like Te’O, he’ll be able to focus on football on the proverbial media island that is San Diego.
But there is no question that Allen is a dynamic playmaker who can come into a struggling San Diego offense and make an impact right away. Chargers receivers were a near non-factor in 2012 as Philip Rivers struggled to stay upright. He had a career-high 49 sacks, and the Bolts addressed that issue in the first round by selecting D.J. Fluker out of Alabama.
Now, they can get back to the business of becoming a potent offense once again after ranking 20th out of 32 teams in scoring in 2012. Allen will help the vertical passing game in all aspects immediately.
Grading drafts is the biggest crapshoot in sports, but in terms of star power and value, the Bolts have done themselves and their fan base a great service with the likes of their first three picks.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015