- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
David Lee injury: Warriors F hid back ailment before suffering season-ender
- Updated: April 23, 2013
Golden State Warriors power forward David Lee is a Warrior in every sense of the word, and his attempt to hide a nagging injury that could have caused him to miss time during the NBA Playoffs is a testament to that fact.
After suffering a season-ending hip flexor tear in Game 1 of the opening round series against the Denver Nuggets on Saturday, the double-double machine revealed that he was also dealing with back pain that more than likely would have caused him to sit out games down the stretch.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Lee’s back has been “killing him” over the past two weeks. The report states that he even went as far as trying to hide a large ice pack within his shooting shirt during stoppages of play in order to get through it. The player himself recounted it as his only real course of action.
“The only other option was to not play, and you guys who know me know that was not something I was even considering,” Lee told the paper. “It’s very disappointing, but I know I left everything on the floor.”
He’s done that all season after recording a league-high 56 double-doubles and becoming the Warriors’ first All-Star since 1997. His loss is devastating for the Dubs and their playoff chances against the athletic and deep Denver Nuggets. As much as they’ll miss Lee’s production, they’ll miss his workman-like approach to the game and quiet leadership. His willingness to play injured demonstrates that.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014