- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Rutgers close to signing Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan
- Updated: April 14, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Eddie Jordan is close to an agreement with Rutgers to become their new head coach, according to a person with information on the situation telling The Associated Press.
Jordan, 58, is a Rutgers alumnus, as he played for the Scarlet Knights from 1973-77. One of the key players in Rutgers’ 1976 Final Four appearance, he has gone on to become a head coach in the NBA with the Sacramento Kings, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers. He has a career 257-343 record in the NBA.
Rutgers men’s basketball program has been under major scrutiny this month due to the scandal featuring former head coach Mike Rice. In early April, a video on ESPN was aired showing Rice physically rough handle his players and calling them anti-gay slurs during practices. Rice was fired April 3 and Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti resigned April 5.
Before Jordan was linked to the Rutgers head coaching job, Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley interviewed for the position but was given a contract extension to stay at his current post.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013