- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Kobe Bryant injury: Likely out 6-9 months with torn Achilles
- Updated: April 13, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant will have surgery Saturday afternoon after a MRI confirmed his torn Achilles tendon in his left leg. He is expected to take 6-9 months to recover according to Lakers trainer Gary Vitti.
With 3:08 remaining in the fourth quarter, Bryant, who was guarded by Golden State Warriors rookie Harrison Barnes, made a move to his left as he attacked the basket. He fell to the ground and was unable to get back up under his own power. After asking Barnes if he kicked him in the leg, the rookie responded with a “no,” which justified Bryant’s fears of a major injury.
“I was just hoping it wasn’t what I knew it was,” Bryant said. “Just trying to walk it off, hoping that the sensation would come back, but no such luck.”
After making his free throws, he left the game for the first time. Up until the injury, Bryant had played in every minute of the game and was demonstrating fatigue given his heavy workload that night and in past games for the Lakers’ playoff push.
Recovering from surgery to repair a torn Achilles takes athletes three to 12 months. Bryant, 34, may possibly recover in time for the start of the 2013-14 season according to Vitti, who described his injury as a “complete rupture.”
“It’s gone,” Vitti said. “So it has to be sewn back together.”
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013