- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Oakland Raiders’ extreme makeover continues
- Updated: April 10, 2013
It is possible that no team has done more to remodel itself than the Oakland Raiders this offseason. Gone are the likes of Richard Seymour, Rolando McClain, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, Carson Palmer, and Tommy Kelly. The Raiders are clearly headed in a new direction but no one knows what direction that is as of yet.
The trade for quarterback Matt Flynn would appear to say he is the favorite to be the starting quarterback this season. However, it is still possible that the Raiders could select a quarterback in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft, although that is not likely.
All the departures on defense leave the Raiders with a ton of holes to fill and not many draft picks to fill them.
So the Raiders are left with no choice but to go bargain shopping. According to CSNbayarea.com, the Raiders have signed safety Usama Young to a one-year contract. He will join veteran Tracy Porter, who the Raiders picked up last week in an attempt to shore up the secondary.
The Raiders’ record next season may not show it, but the direction the team is going is better for long term stability. General Manager Reggie McKenzie has cleared out the old regimes, bad contracts and players who were underperforming. The upcoming draft will go a long way to determine how fast the Raiders will be competitive again.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL general managers are scared to make tough calls - February 27, 2015
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers - February 23, 2015
- NFL Offseason 2015: The Dreaded Franchise Tag - February 18, 2015