- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
Oakland Raiders’ extreme makeover continues
- Updated: April 10, 2013
It is possible that no team has done more to remodel itself than the Oakland Raiders this offseason. Gone are the likes of Richard Seymour, Rolando McClain, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, Carson Palmer, and Tommy Kelly. The Raiders are clearly headed in a new direction but no one knows what direction that is as of yet.
The trade for quarterback Matt Flynn would appear to say he is the favorite to be the starting quarterback this season. However, it is still possible that the Raiders could select a quarterback in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft, although that is not likely.
All the departures on defense leave the Raiders with a ton of holes to fill and not many draft picks to fill them.
So the Raiders are left with no choice but to go bargain shopping. According to CSNbayarea.com, the Raiders have signed safety Usama Young to a one-year contract. He will join veteran Tracy Porter, who the Raiders picked up last week in an attempt to shore up the secondary.
The Raiders’ record next season may not show it, but the direction the team is going is better for long term stability. General Manager Reggie McKenzie has cleared out the old regimes, bad contracts and players who were underperforming. The upcoming draft will go a long way to determine how fast the Raiders will be competitive again.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL offseason 2015: What has happened to the quality of safety play? - March 30, 2015
- NFL offseason 2015: Do the Bucs have to take a quarterback? - March 25, 2015
- NFL offseason 2015: What to do if a quarterback is all you have? - March 23, 2015