- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
Oakland Raiders’ extreme makeover continues
- Updated: April 10, 2013
It is possible that no team has done more to remodel itself than the Oakland Raiders this offseason. Gone are the likes of Richard Seymour, Rolando McClain, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, Carson Palmer, and Tommy Kelly. The Raiders are clearly headed in a new direction but no one knows what direction that is as of yet.
The trade for quarterback Matt Flynn would appear to say he is the favorite to be the starting quarterback this season. However, it is still possible that the Raiders could select a quarterback in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft, although that is not likely.
All the departures on defense leave the Raiders with a ton of holes to fill and not many draft picks to fill them.
So the Raiders are left with no choice but to go bargain shopping. According to CSNbayarea.com, the Raiders have signed safety Usama Young to a one-year contract. He will join veteran Tracy Porter, who the Raiders picked up last week in an attempt to shore up the secondary.
The Raiders’ record next season may not show it, but the direction the team is going is better for long term stability. General Manager Reggie McKenzie has cleared out the old regimes, bad contracts and players who were underperforming. The upcoming draft will go a long way to determine how fast the Raiders will be competitive again.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL free agency 2014: AFC West Free Agent Targets - March 5, 2014
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact - March 3, 2014
- 49ers news: Can Jim Harbaugh and management coexist? - February 26, 2014