- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Oakland Raiders’ extreme makeover continues
- Updated: April 10, 2013
It is possible that no team has done more to remodel itself than the Oakland Raiders this offseason. Gone are the likes of Richard Seymour, Rolando McClain, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, Carson Palmer, and Tommy Kelly. The Raiders are clearly headed in a new direction but no one knows what direction that is as of yet.
The trade for quarterback Matt Flynn would appear to say he is the favorite to be the starting quarterback this season. However, it is still possible that the Raiders could select a quarterback in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft, although that is not likely.
All the departures on defense leave the Raiders with a ton of holes to fill and not many draft picks to fill them.
So the Raiders are left with no choice but to go bargain shopping. According to CSNbayarea.com, the Raiders have signed safety Usama Young to a one-year contract. He will join veteran Tracy Porter, who the Raiders picked up last week in an attempt to shore up the secondary.
The Raiders’ record next season may not show it, but the direction the team is going is better for long term stability. General Manager Reggie McKenzie has cleared out the old regimes, bad contracts and players who were underperforming. The upcoming draft will go a long way to determine how fast the Raiders will be competitive again.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- Would a Super Bowl win make Tom Brady the Greatest of All-Time? - January 28, 2015
- Who are the favorites to win at NFL Honors? - January 27, 2015
- Who has the most difficult job of the new NFL head coaches? - January 22, 2015