- Stephen Curry captures magic of Warriors’ Oracle Arena
- 49ers Week 15 primer: Can San Francisco carry their momentum to Tampa Bay?
- Seahawks vs. Giants preview: Seattle looks to rebound on the East Coast
- Lakers news: Steve Blake to miss at least six weeks with elbow injury
- Stale Sacramento Kings fail versus Utah Jazz 122-101
- Mark Trumbo trade: Did Jerry Dipoto make the right move?
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A.
- Sacramento Kings trade exports won’t be simple to replace
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant’s improvement encouraging
Oakland Raiders’ extreme makeover continues
- Updated: April 10, 2013
It is possible that no team has done more to remodel itself than the Oakland Raiders this offseason. Gone are the likes of Richard Seymour, Rolando McClain, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, Carson Palmer, and Tommy Kelly. The Raiders are clearly headed in a new direction but no one knows what direction that is as of yet.
The trade for quarterback Matt Flynn would appear to say he is the favorite to be the starting quarterback this season. However, it is still possible that the Raiders could select a quarterback in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft, although that is not likely.
All the departures on defense leave the Raiders with a ton of holes to fill and not many draft picks to fill them.
So the Raiders are left with no choice but to go bargain shopping. According to CSNbayarea.com, the Raiders have signed safety Usama Young to a one-year contract. He will join veteran Tracy Porter, who the Raiders picked up last week in an attempt to shore up the secondary.
The Raiders’ record next season may not show it, but the direction the team is going is better for long term stability. General Manager Reggie McKenzie has cleared out the old regimes, bad contracts and players who were underperforming. The upcoming draft will go a long way to determine how fast the Raiders will be competitive again.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- Chargers vs. Broncos preview: Philip Rivers needs big day for Bolts upset - December 11, 2013
- Chargers vs. Giants preview: Key matchups - December 4, 2013
- AFC West Roundup: Eric Decker dominates, Chargers come up short - December 2, 2013