- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
New investor Mark Friedman joins Sacramento bid for Kings
- Updated: April 10, 2013
Less than 24 hours after business magnate Ron Burkle dropped out of the Sacramento group seeking to buy the Kings due to a conflict of interest legality, the Sacramento Bee reported that a new investor, real estate developer Mark Friedman, joined the foray on Tuesday.
Friedman joins Golden State Warriors minority owner Vivek Ranadive, 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov and San Diego’s Qualcomm Stadium founders the Jacobs family in the quest to keep the Kings in California’s capital city.
“I’ve been talking to Vivek (Ranadive) and Mark Mastrov for a couple of months,” said Friedman.
The lawyer turned real estate developer did not specify what his financial commitment would be, but stated that it would be “substantial.” The Sacramento contingent plans to build a new $488 million downtown arena that will feature $258 million in public funding.
Friedman’s entry into the investment group substantiates Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson’s previous statements that there is ample interest from the local business community to retain the Kings and block a competing investment group’s plans to relocate the franchise to Seattle.
Both the Sacramento and Seattle groups made presentations of their proposals to an NBA finance and relocation committee last week. The NBA Board of Governors will meet in New York on April 18 or 19 to decide the fate of the franchise.
Ben Hernandez Jr.
Latest posts by Ben Hernandez Jr. (see all)
- Blazers’ Damian Lillard has the panache to lead franchise - May 13, 2013
- Different seasons, but same endings for Lakers and Clippers - May 6, 2013
- Lakers news: Dwight Howard unable to maintain poise in Game 4 - April 29, 2013