- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
Warriors can clinch playoff spot against Jazz
- Updated: April 7, 2013
The Golden State Warriors can clinch their playoff spot on Sunday night with a victory over the Utah Jazz at home. With a win, it would be their first playoff appearance since 2007 and only their second appearance in the NBA playoffs in the past 19 seasons.
The Warriors (44-32) are currently 4.5 games ahead of the ninth-place Jazz (40-37) in the Western Conference standings. With the San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers and Memphis Grizzlies all already punching their ticket to this year’s NBA playoffs, the Warriors could be the next team to join the group with a win against the Jazz.
In their first meeting of the season, the Warriors came out on top with a 94-83 victory the day after Christmas. Led by Stephen Curry’s 23 points, eight rebounds and seven assists, Golden State handed Utah with their third loss of the season at home. In their second matchup of the season almost two months later, the Jazz rectified their embarrassing loss at home with a decisive 115-101 victory, giving the Warriors their sixth-straight loss.
The last Warriors team to make the playoffs was the 2006-07 squad that featured Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington and upset the No. 1-seeded Dallas Mavericks before losing to the Jazz in the Western Conference semifinals. This year, the Jazz may serve as the Warriors’ gatekeeper to clinching a spot in the postseason.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013