- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
49ers news: OT Anthony Davis signs 5-year extension
- Updated: April 5, 2013
When factoring in his current contract, the extension will keep him in the Bay Area through the 2019 season. Davis was a first-round pick in 2010 when the Niners selected him with the No. 11 overall pick out of Rutgers University. Since then, he has turned into a staple of a strong offensive line that has been among the most consistent in the NFL in both pass protection and run-blocking.
The 23-year-old has started all 48 games of his career and is the last first-rounder in the pre-Jim Harbaugh era.
San Francisco has solved some of its salary cap issue for the future by extending Davis as Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati and Colin Kaepernick each are due to become free agents in 2015. Davis would have, but the deal will make things easier when that time comes.
The Niners have been one of the 2013 winners in free agency and the trade market by acquiring Nnamdi Asomugha and Anquan Boldin this offseason. Combined with maintaining their continuity by keeping key players like Davis, they can again be considered among the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014