- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency
- Leonard Williams avoids serious knee-injury
- Tyrell Williams – former NCAA Division II wideout – is bolting up in San Diego
- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
49ers news: OT Anthony Davis signs 5-year extension
- Updated: April 5, 2013
When factoring in his current contract, the extension will keep him in the Bay Area through the 2019 season. Davis was a first-round pick in 2010 when the Niners selected him with the No. 11 overall pick out of Rutgers University. Since then, he has turned into a staple of a strong offensive line that has been among the most consistent in the NFL in both pass protection and run-blocking.
The 23-year-old has started all 48 games of his career and is the last first-rounder in the pre-Jim Harbaugh era.
San Francisco has solved some of its salary cap issue for the future by extending Davis as Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati and Colin Kaepernick each are due to become free agents in 2015. Davis would have, but the deal will make things easier when that time comes.
The Niners have been one of the 2013 winners in free agency and the trade market by acquiring Nnamdi Asomugha and Anquan Boldin this offseason. Combined with maintaining their continuity by keeping key players like Davis, they can again be considered among the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015