- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
- Chargers, Kevin Faulconer begin new stadium talks
- Clippers’ Jamal Crawford says ‘sky is the limit’ for a healthy team
49ers news: OT Anthony Davis signs 5-year extension
- Updated: April 5, 2013
When factoring in his current contract, the extension will keep him in the Bay Area through the 2019 season. Davis was a first-round pick in 2010 when the Niners selected him with the No. 11 overall pick out of Rutgers University. Since then, he has turned into a staple of a strong offensive line that has been among the most consistent in the NFL in both pass protection and run-blocking.
The 23-year-old has started all 48 games of his career and is the last first-rounder in the pre-Jim Harbaugh era.
San Francisco has solved some of its salary cap issue for the future by extending Davis as Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati and Colin Kaepernick each are due to become free agents in 2015. Davis would have, but the deal will make things easier when that time comes.
The Niners have been one of the 2013 winners in free agency and the trade market by acquiring Nnamdi Asomugha and Anquan Boldin this offseason. Combined with maintaining their continuity by keeping key players like Davis, they can again be considered among the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014
- Warriors’ Mark Jackson says job security ‘determined on winning’ - April 10, 2014