- Mark Trumbo trade: Did Jerry Dipoto make the right move?
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A.
- Sacramento Kings trade exports won’t be simple to replace
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant’s improvement encouraging
- Kobe Bryant improves, but Lakers fall 114-108 to Suns
- Chargers vs. Broncos preview: Philip Rivers needs big day for Bolts upset
- Los Angeles Angels news: Halos acquire Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago in three-team deal
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
- Blazers news: Wesley Matthews says he’ll enter 3-point contest if invited
49ers news: OT Anthony Davis signs 5-year extension
- Updated: April 5, 2013
When factoring in his current contract, the extension will keep him in the Bay Area through the 2019 season. Davis was a first-round pick in 2010 when the Niners selected him with the No. 11 overall pick out of Rutgers University. Since then, he has turned into a staple of a strong offensive line that has been among the most consistent in the NFL in both pass protection and run-blocking.
The 23-year-old has started all 48 games of his career and is the last first-rounder in the pre-Jim Harbaugh era.
San Francisco has solved some of its salary cap issue for the future by extending Davis as Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati and Colin Kaepernick each are due to become free agents in 2015. Davis would have, but the deal will make things easier when that time comes.
The Niners have been one of the 2013 winners in free agency and the trade market by acquiring Nnamdi Asomugha and Anquan Boldin this offseason. Combined with maintaining their continuity by keeping key players like Davis, they can again be considered among the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates - December 11, 2013
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A. - December 11, 2013
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others - December 9, 2013