- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
49ers news: OT Anthony Davis signs 5-year extension
- Updated: April 5, 2013
When factoring in his current contract, the extension will keep him in the Bay Area through the 2019 season. Davis was a first-round pick in 2010 when the Niners selected him with the No. 11 overall pick out of Rutgers University. Since then, he has turned into a staple of a strong offensive line that has been among the most consistent in the NFL in both pass protection and run-blocking.
The 23-year-old has started all 48 games of his career and is the last first-rounder in the pre-Jim Harbaugh era.
San Francisco has solved some of its salary cap issue for the future by extending Davis as Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati and Colin Kaepernick each are due to become free agents in 2015. Davis would have, but the deal will make things easier when that time comes.
The Niners have been one of the 2013 winners in free agency and the trade market by acquiring Nnamdi Asomugha and Anquan Boldin this offseason. Combined with maintaining their continuity by keeping key players like Davis, they can again be considered among the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015