- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
Metta World Peace injury: Lakers F ‘encouraged’ with progress
- Updated: April 4, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace is off crutches and appears on track to recover within the six-week timetable originally given by doctors when he underwent surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee last week, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles.
Always the optimist, World Peace was upbeat when speaking about the rehabilitation process to reporters.
“It’s going really well,” World Peace said Wednesday. “I was on the crutches for a couple days, but it just gets better. Like, every half of day, it improves. I’m very encouraged.”
The injury to the former NBA Defensive Player of the Year is a devastating blow to the Lakers chances at postseason success, especially given the injuries already bothering stars Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard. In order for Los Angeles to get a contribution from World Peace consistent with the prognosis, they would have to make the second round of the 2013 NBA playoffs.
The Lakers are currently situated a half-game ahead of the Utah Jazz for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. They will take on the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday to maintain that positioning and avoid missing the postseason for the first time since the 2004-05 season.
In 70 games in 2012-13, World Peace has averaged 12.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals per contest.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014