- Mark Trumbo trade: Did Jerry Dipoto make the right move?
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A.
- Sacramento Kings trade exports won’t be simple to replace
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant’s improvement encouraging
- Kobe Bryant improves, but Lakers fall 114-108 to Suns
- Chargers vs. Broncos preview: Philip Rivers needs big day for Bolts upset
- Los Angeles Angels news: Halos acquire Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago in three-team deal
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
- Blazers news: Wesley Matthews says he’ll enter 3-point contest if invited
Nnamdi Asomugha may make San Francisco 49ers NFL favorites
- Updated: April 3, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers appear to be issuing a message to the NFL. The message appears to be the Lombardi Trophy for the 2013 season belongs to them. They were one play away from being Super Bowl champions last season and they have only gotten better since then.
On Tuesday, the 49ers may have gotten the steal of the offseason by signing cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. Just two seasons ago Asomugha was considered one of the top two cornerbacks in the NFL. After struggling to fit in the system in Philadelphia with the Eagles, he returns to the Bay area hoping for renewed success.
The 49ers got Asomugha at the bargain price of just $1.35 million, according to ESPN.com. If he resembles anything he looked like when he played for the Oakland Raiders, that will be money well spent.
The 49ers also shored up their backup quarterback position by trading for Colt McCoy. McCoy started 21 games his first two seasons and produced so-so results with minimal talent around him. For the 49ers, he is a cheap insurance policy in case anything happens to Colin Kaepernick.
Before the offseason started, the 49ers were perceived to have the best linebacker core in the NFL, the best offensive line and one of the top young quarterbacks. Now they have some of the best secondary depth in the league. Carlos Rogers was a Pro Bowl corner in 2011. Chris Culliver is young and talented, and now they have added Asomugha. Not to mention they added Anquan Boldin earlier this offseason and only had to give up a sixth-round pick.
The 2013 NFL Draft has not even taken place yet and the 49ers may already be the class of the league.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- Chargers vs. Broncos preview: Philip Rivers needs big day for Bolts upset - December 11, 2013
- Chargers vs. Giants preview: Key matchups - December 4, 2013
- AFC West Roundup: Eric Decker dominates, Chargers come up short - December 2, 2013