- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Nnamdi Asomugha signs with San Francisco
- Updated: April 2, 2013
Following two disappointing seasons in Philadelphia as part of the ill-fated “Dream Team,” veteran cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha signed a one-year, $3 million contract on Tuesday with the NFC champion San Francisco 49ers.
Many around the league are considering this deal a bargain, given the price and the relatively low risk San Francisco takes on with a one-year contract. In addition, Philadelphia is also paying part of Asomugha’s salary for the 2013 season.
The 31-year-old Asomugha is far removed from his shutdown corner days, but can still be a force. It was widely believed that in Philadelphia’s zone defensive scheme, Asomugha played outside of his comfort zone–man-to-man coverage. Despite this, the Eagles continued to use Asomugha primarily in zone coverage. Conversely, San Francisco usually sticks to tough man-to-man press coverage with their cornerbacks.
This is also a homecoming of sorts for Asomugha, who was torn between playing in San Francisco or the New Orleans Saints. He played college football at Cal, and being closer to family and friends again may have been the deciding factor.
All the factors that brought the once elite cover man back to the Bay Area can only mean one thing—the 49ers clearly have their sights set on returning to the Super Bowl. With a multitude of picks in this April’s draft, a top-shelf defense and a quarterback ready to prove that last season was no fluke, they may very well get there again.
Latest posts by Michael Porter (see all)
- Kobe Bryant says he’s ‘fat’, needs 3 weeks of conditioning - October 10, 2013
- Charles Woodson aging like fine wine with huge defensive plays - October 8, 2013
- NL West champion Dodgers eye World Series after historic turnaround - September 23, 2013