- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud
- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
49ers acquire Colt McCoy from Browns
- Updated: April 2, 2013
On Monday, the San Francisco 49ers agreed to terms with the Cleveland Browns to acquire quarterback Colt McCoy and a sixth-round draft pick in exchange for a fifth-round and seventh-round pick, as reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Terms of deal: Browns agree to trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th-round pick to San Francisco for 5th- and 7th-round picks. Niners have new backup.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 1, 2013
The departure of Alex Smith left a void at the 49ers’ backup quarterback position, which will purportedly be filled with the arrival of McCoy. However, he could face competition for the backup role from Scott Tolzien.
McCoy, a Heisman Trophy candidate with the Texas Longhorns, spent three seasons with the Browns, but could not develop into the starting quarterback the team hoped he would become. McCoy finished his tenure at Cleveland with a 74.8 passer rating and threw for 4,388 yards, 21 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in 24 games played.
Ben Hernandez Jr.
Latest posts by Ben Hernandez Jr. (see all)
- Blazers’ Damian Lillard has the panache to lead franchise - May 13, 2013
- Different seasons, but same endings for Lakers and Clippers - May 6, 2013
- Lakers news: Dwight Howard unable to maintain poise in Game 4 - April 29, 2013