- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
49ers acquire Colt McCoy from Browns
- Updated: April 2, 2013
On Monday, the San Francisco 49ers agreed to terms with the Cleveland Browns to acquire quarterback Colt McCoy and a sixth-round draft pick in exchange for a fifth-round and seventh-round pick, as reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Terms of deal: Browns agree to trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th-round pick to San Francisco for 5th- and 7th-round picks. Niners have new backup.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 1, 2013
The departure of Alex Smith left a void at the 49ers’ backup quarterback position, which will purportedly be filled with the arrival of McCoy. However, he could face competition for the backup role from Scott Tolzien.
McCoy, a Heisman Trophy candidate with the Texas Longhorns, spent three seasons with the Browns, but could not develop into the starting quarterback the team hoped he would become. McCoy finished his tenure at Cleveland with a 74.8 passer rating and threw for 4,388 yards, 21 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in 24 games played.
Ben Hernandez Jr.
Latest posts by Ben Hernandez Jr. (see all)
- Blazers’ Damian Lillard has the panache to lead franchise - May 13, 2013
- Different seasons, but same endings for Lakers and Clippers - May 6, 2013
- Lakers news: Dwight Howard unable to maintain poise in Game 4 - April 29, 2013