- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
49ers RB Kendall Hunter will be ready for training camp
- Updated: March 30, 2013
San Francisco 49ers running back Kendall Hunter’s recovery is ahead of schedule and is scheduled to be back for the start of training camp, according to a source telling Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle.
During the 2012-13 regular season, Hunter, 24, tore his Achilles in a play against the New Orleans Saints about four months ago on November 25, 2012. He has been working back from his injury by splitting his time between Santa Clara and Texas this offseason and has made great progress thus far. Hunter rushed for 371 yards last season.
With Frank Gore entrenched as the starter, Hunter will compete with second-year back LaMichael James for carries. After Hunter went down last season, James saw a huge bump up in his usage and became a large part of the team’s offense. Working well in tandem with quarterback Colin Kaepernick late last season, James may have an upper hand over the returning Hunter.
Depending on how Hunter’s recovery goes, the 49ers may be more or less inclined to select a running back with one of their many picks in this year’s NFL Draft. While they’re currently deep at the position, the 49ers may be interested in drafting a running back in the mid-to-late rounds who possesses great upside and could be a player they take time to develop over the next season or two.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013