- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
- Dodgers close to re-signing Brian Wilson
- Sacramento Kings show resilience in 97-95 loss to Oklahoma City Thunder
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash return to practice
- Jordan Farmar injury: Lakers G out 4 weeks with hamstring tear
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets
- Vernon Davis on groin tackle: ‘The most painful thing ever’
- NFC West Week 13 Roundup: Seahawks Clinch a playoff spot, 49ers stay in contention
- Steve Sarkisian accepts USC head coaching position
49ers RB Kendall Hunter will be ready for training camp
- Updated: March 30, 2013
San Francisco 49ers running back Kendall Hunter’s recovery is ahead of schedule and is scheduled to be back for the start of training camp, according to a source telling Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle.
During the 2012-13 regular season, Hunter, 24, tore his Achilles in a play against the New Orleans Saints about four months ago on November 25, 2012. He has been working back from his injury by splitting his time between Santa Clara and Texas this offseason and has made great progress thus far. Hunter rushed for 371 yards last season.
With Frank Gore entrenched as the starter, Hunter will compete with second-year back LaMichael James for carries. After Hunter went down last season, James saw a huge bump up in his usage and became a large part of the team’s offense. Working well in tandem with quarterback Colin Kaepernick late last season, James may have an upper hand over the returning Hunter.
Depending on how Hunter’s recovery goes, the 49ers may be more or less inclined to select a running back with one of their many picks in this year’s NFL Draft. While they’re currently deep at the position, the 49ers may be interested in drafting a running back in the mid-to-late rounds who possesses great upside and could be a player they take time to develop over the next season or two.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013