- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Padres news: Freddy Garcia released by Friars
- Updated: March 27, 2013
Garcia was given a non-roster invite to spring training in hopes of fulfilling one of the starting spots in the rotation. But struggles throughout Cactus League play kept him from measuring up to the level of play necessary for such a position. He went just 1-4 with an 8.71 ERA in six starts, allowed 25 runs and 26 hits in 20 2/3 innings of work.
The open competition got a little less stiff when Casey Kelly was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing elbow that would require Tommy John surgery. But given the impending $1.3 million price tag that would come with Garcia had he made the roster coupled with his struggles, the move comes as no surprise. Rookie Tyson Ross now appears to be the frontrunner for the job, and will have less competition to worry about moving forward for the remainder of the offseason.
The Padres will begin their season in Queens as they travel to the East Coast to take on the New York Mets.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015