- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
Padres news: Freddy Garcia released by Friars
- Updated: March 27, 2013
Garcia was given a non-roster invite to spring training in hopes of fulfilling one of the starting spots in the rotation. But struggles throughout Cactus League play kept him from measuring up to the level of play necessary for such a position. He went just 1-4 with an 8.71 ERA in six starts, allowed 25 runs and 26 hits in 20 2/3 innings of work.
The open competition got a little less stiff when Casey Kelly was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing elbow that would require Tommy John surgery. But given the impending $1.3 million price tag that would come with Garcia had he made the roster coupled with his struggles, the move comes as no surprise. Rookie Tyson Ross now appears to be the frontrunner for the job, and will have less competition to worry about moving forward for the remainder of the offseason.
The Padres will begin their season in Queens as they travel to the East Coast to take on the New York Mets.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014