- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
Padres news: Freddy Garcia released by Friars
- Updated: March 27, 2013
Garcia was given a non-roster invite to spring training in hopes of fulfilling one of the starting spots in the rotation. But struggles throughout Cactus League play kept him from measuring up to the level of play necessary for such a position. He went just 1-4 with an 8.71 ERA in six starts, allowed 25 runs and 26 hits in 20 2/3 innings of work.
The open competition got a little less stiff when Casey Kelly was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing elbow that would require Tommy John surgery. But given the impending $1.3 million price tag that would come with Garcia had he made the roster coupled with his struggles, the move comes as no surprise. Rookie Tyson Ross now appears to be the frontrunner for the job, and will have less competition to worry about moving forward for the remainder of the offseason.
The Padres will begin their season in Queens as they travel to the East Coast to take on the New York Mets.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters - March 13, 2015