- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
Padres news: Freddy Garcia released by Friars
- Updated: March 27, 2013
Garcia was given a non-roster invite to spring training in hopes of fulfilling one of the starting spots in the rotation. But struggles throughout Cactus League play kept him from measuring up to the level of play necessary for such a position. He went just 1-4 with an 8.71 ERA in six starts, allowed 25 runs and 26 hits in 20 2/3 innings of work.
The open competition got a little less stiff when Casey Kelly was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing elbow that would require Tommy John surgery. But given the impending $1.3 million price tag that would come with Garcia had he made the roster coupled with his struggles, the move comes as no surprise. Rookie Tyson Ross now appears to be the frontrunner for the job, and will have less competition to worry about moving forward for the remainder of the offseason.
The Padres will begin their season in Queens as they travel to the East Coast to take on the New York Mets.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014