- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Padres news: Freddy Garcia released by Friars
- Updated: March 27, 2013
Garcia was given a non-roster invite to spring training in hopes of fulfilling one of the starting spots in the rotation. But struggles throughout Cactus League play kept him from measuring up to the level of play necessary for such a position. He went just 1-4 with an 8.71 ERA in six starts, allowed 25 runs and 26 hits in 20 2/3 innings of work.
The open competition got a little less stiff when Casey Kelly was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing elbow that would require Tommy John surgery. But given the impending $1.3 million price tag that would come with Garcia had he made the roster coupled with his struggles, the move comes as no surprise. Rookie Tyson Ross now appears to be the frontrunner for the job, and will have less competition to worry about moving forward for the remainder of the offseason.
The Padres will begin their season in Queens as they travel to the East Coast to take on the New York Mets.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014