- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson announces downtown arena deal
- Updated: March 23, 2013
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson says that the city has come to a preliminary agreement with Burkle-Mastrov-Ranadive group on a public-private partnership to build a new downtown arena in hopes of keeping the Sacramento Kings in Northern California, as announced on his Twitter account.
Costing about $448 million, the new arena would be located at the Downtown Plaza location. The City of Sacramento would cover $258 million of the cost. The ownership group consisting of billionaire Ron Burkle, 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov and TIBCO chairman Vivek Ranadive will cover the other $190 million.
According to Johnson, the deal “avoids new taxes, protects the City on the Kings loan, and ensures no net impact to the general fund.” With this new announcement, Sacramento is hoping to block a bid by a Seattle group led by Valiant Capital’s Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer in hopes of keeping the team in California.
In Johnson’s February 28 State of the City address, he named Mastrov the lead investor and head of the arena development effort for keeping the Kings in Sacramento. Ranadive, who is also a part-owner of the Golden State Warriors, recently joined the group as another investor in favor of keeping the Kings away from Seattle.
The term sheet is non-binding and the City Council will vote on this Tuesday.
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013