- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Ben Howland fired by UCLA
- Updated: March 23, 2013
UCLA head coach Ben Howland is being relieved of his coaching duties, and an official announcement is expected within the next 48 hours, according to Yahoo Sports.
The Bruins won the regular season Pac-12 title in 2012-13 and had one of the top recruiting classes in the nation, but fell well short of expectations with a first-round NCAA tournament loss to Minnesota.
Howland led the Bruins to a 25-10 record, but was perceived to have had an up and down season. He brought in a top recruiting class with freshman Jordan Adams, Shabazz Muhammad, and Tony Parker but the season just did not go as UCLA had hoped. The Bruins started the season ranked 13th in the nation and going out in the first round of the NCAA tournament did not live up to that billing.
While at UCLA, Howland compiled a 233-107 record and took the Bruins to three Final Fours. With all his success he could never win a national championship, and in the end that was held against him. Possible candidates to replace Howland include Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, and Mark Gottfried.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL Draft 2014: What is the best fit for Johnny Manziel? - April 21, 2014
- NFL Schedule 2014: AFC West Marquee Match-ups - April 16, 2014
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling? - April 14, 2014