- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
Ben Howland fired by UCLA
- Updated: March 23, 2013
UCLA head coach Ben Howland is being relieved of his coaching duties, and an official announcement is expected within the next 48 hours, according to Yahoo Sports.
The Bruins won the regular season Pac-12 title in 2012-13 and had one of the top recruiting classes in the nation, but fell well short of expectations with a first-round NCAA tournament loss to Minnesota.
Howland led the Bruins to a 25-10 record, but was perceived to have had an up and down season. He brought in a top recruiting class with freshman Jordan Adams, Shabazz Muhammad, and Tony Parker but the season just did not go as UCLA had hoped. The Bruins started the season ranked 13th in the nation and going out in the first round of the NCAA tournament did not live up to that billing.
While at UCLA, Howland compiled a 233-107 record and took the Bruins to three Final Fours. With all his success he could never win a national championship, and in the end that was held against him. Possible candidates to replace Howland include Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, and Mark Gottfried.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL 2014: Top 5 surprise players released on Final Cut Day - September 1, 2014
- NFL 2014: Fantasy Football Sleepers Buy or Sell list - August 27, 2014
- NFL 2014: How should the Rams respond to Sam Bradford’s injury? - August 25, 2014