- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Oakland Raiders give Rolando McClain permission to seek trade
- Updated: March 20, 2013
The Oakland Raiders’ approach this offseason seems to be that they have accepted things are going to get worse before they gets better.
The Raiders have already parted ways with Michael Huff and Darius Heyward-Bey. Mercurynews.com is reporting the Raiders have now given 2010 first round pick Rolando McClain permission to seek a trade.
McClain has had a number of off the field issues. In January he was arrested for signing a false name to a traffic ticket. In 2011 he was arrested in Decatur, Alabama on gun charges. Those charges were later dropped.
On the field things have not gone so smoothly either. This season McClain was benched from his starter role due to poor play. His career numbers do not exactly blow people away. In three NFL seasons he has a total of 175 tackles, though he did post a respectable five sacks in 2011.
Raiders’ general manager Reggie McKenzie has been on a mission since he took over, to try and find a quality nucleus to build from. Giving McClain permission to seek employment elsewhere, clearly says he is not a part of that nucleus. The Raiders have the number three pick in this April’s NFL draft. Historically, that is perceived as too high to take a middle linebacker. But with the new collective bargaining agreement and the lower cost of a high pick, anything is possible.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL free agency 2014: NFC West players on the move - March 10, 2014
- NFL free agency 2014: AFC West Free Agent Targets - March 5, 2014
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact - March 3, 2014