- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Stanford’s Dwight Powell will return for senior season
- Updated: March 17, 2013
Powell (6-foot-10, 235 pounds) was the clear leader for the Cardinal this season, as he was a first-team Pac-12 selection this season. Also the winner of the conference’s most improved player award, he went from averaging 5.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 0.6 blocks a game to 15.4 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.1 blocks a game.
Due to his distinctions this season, the athletic forward was a potential early entrant into the NBA draft. However, he has decided to return for next season.
With Powell returning, Stanford (18-14) looks to finish higher in the Pac-12 standings in 2013-14 with a core featuring Chasson Randle (14.0 points, 1.2 steals), Josh Huestis (10.7 points, 9.3 rebounds) and Aaron Bright (9.4 points, 3.5 assists).Ready for March Madness? Enter the $100K NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Austin Chang is an Associate Editor for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013