- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Seattle Seahawks release Ben Obomanu
- Updated: March 17, 2013
The Seattle Seahawks have released wide receiver Ben Obomanu, according to Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun on Twitter.
Obomanu, 29, has played his entire seven-year career with the Seahawks. A seventh-round pick back in 2006 out of Auburn, he caught 87 passes for 1,209 yards and seven touchdowns. His best season was in 2010 where he had 30 receptions for 494 yards and four touchdowns.
Set to make $2.3 million in 2013, the Seahawks cut the veteran who had just four catches and ended the season on injured reserve due to a wrist injury last season. With the new, expensive addition of Percy Harvin, Obomanu would have been the fifth-best receiver on the depth chart at best, as Sidney Rice, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin have become more prominent targets for quarterback Russell Wilson than Obomanu.
A versatile receiver and special teams contributor, Obomanu’s release saves the franchise more than $2.5 million against the cap, according to Eric Williams of The News Tribune. Given the team’s signings during free agency (Jason Jones, Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril), the Seahawks have spent a lot of money this offseason and every cost-saving move helps.
On Friday, Obomanu took to Twitter and thanked the franchise and his fans for his last seven years with the Seahawks:
— Ben Obomanu (@obo87) March 15, 2013
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013