- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
49ers sign safety Craig Dahl to three-year contract
- Updated: March 16, 2013
Dahl, 27, spent the last four seasons with the Rams and started 40 of the 61 games played. Registering over 100 tackles in a season for the first time in his career in 2012, he went undrafted in 2007 out of North Dakota State before starting his career with the New York Giants. With Goldson now a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dahl will have a chance to compete for the starting job.
“They told me that there was an opportunity to play in the voided safety position in the secondary and I’m hoping to come in here and mesh well with the secondary and fill that void,” Dahl said.
Despite being an experienced safety vying for Goldson’s old spot, Dahl will still likely have to complete for the starting role. When asked about whether the 49ers will still look to the draft for a rookie safety, CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Maiocco said this during a chat on ScribbleLive:
“Absolutely, the 49ers will look for a safety in this draft. Regardless of who they signed, that player was probably going to be a short-term option. This is a good draft to select a safety. It’s part of the reason the 49ers did not even consider giving Goldson anywhere near his asking price.”
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013