- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
Pau Gasol injury update: Lakers F-C to start, return soon
- Updated: March 15, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol has recovered well from a partially torn plantar fascia in his foot and will likely make his return at some point next week.
When he does so, the Spaniard will regain his starting role, according to Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
Sources close to the team told the Los Angeles Times that head coach Mike D’Antoni doesn’t want to create the controversy that surrounded his initial decision to bench Pau Gasol in favor of Earl Clark. To make the decision to re-insert the former All-Star back into the role he’s most comfortable in is the fact that Clark has seemingly hit a wall and struggled of late when logging starter’s minutes. Los Angeles has been using an eight-man rotation with Antawn Jamison filling in at the four spot and has outplayed Clark during the Lakers’ recent stretch of good basketball.
Gasol was off to a dismal start in 2012-13 as he is averaging a career-low 13.4 points per game and 45.3 percent from the field in 36 games. He has struggled to fit in to the style of play NBA fans are used to seeing with D’Antoni-coached teams, and the primary reason for that is the fact that he’s had to play away from the basket rather than get the majority of his touches in the paint.
He’s an inside-out player who can not only get his shot but pass out of the post and find cutters and open shooters. Whether or not D’Antoni tries to utilize him in that manner remains to be seen, but the Lakers will need their rotation solidified before the playoffs begin, if they make it that far.
In any capacity, Gasol will help the team with his presence, and however D’Antoni chooses to use him, it will be a major lift for a team that will need to be on the same page in a short while.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015