- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
NFL free agency: Danny Woodhead signs with Chargers
- Updated: March 15, 2013
Former New England Patriots running back Danny Woodhead has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers, according to ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss.
Free-agent RB Danny Woodhead agrees to 2-year deal with the Chargers, per source.
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) March 15, 2013
The signing for San Diego is its first big splash in NFL free agency in 2013, and gives them some depth at a position where they’ve been inconsistent over the past several years. Woodhead is a versatile player with exceptional speed and pass-catching ability. The Patriots used him in a variety of ways last season, where he recorded a 4.0 yards per carry average as a runner and grabbed a career-high 40 receptions.
The 28-year-old was undrafted out of Divison 3 Chadron State and failed to stick with the New York Jets before the Patriots signed him and utilized him in a more prominent role. The Chargers will most likely use him in a similar fashion and have him serve as a change of pace from incumbent and often-injured Ryan Mathews, who broke both clavicles last season.
For his career, Woodhead has a 4.7 yards per carry average and 100 receptions in 56 games, nine of which he was listed as the starter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014