- Stale Sacramento Kings fail versus Utah Jazz 122-101
- Mark Trumbo trade: Did Jerry Dipoto make the right move?
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A.
- Sacramento Kings trade exports won’t be simple to replace
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant’s improvement encouraging
- Kobe Bryant improves, but Lakers fall 114-108 to Suns
- Chargers vs. Broncos preview: Philip Rivers needs big day for Bolts upset
- Los Angeles Angels news: Halos acquire Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago in three-team deal
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
NFL free agency: Danny Woodhead signs with Chargers
- Updated: March 15, 2013
Former New England Patriots running back Danny Woodhead has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers, according to ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss.
Free-agent RB Danny Woodhead agrees to 2-year deal with the Chargers, per source.
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) March 15, 2013
The signing for San Diego is its first big splash in NFL free agency in 2013, and gives them some depth at a position where they’ve been inconsistent over the past several years. Woodhead is a versatile player with exceptional speed and pass-catching ability. The Patriots used him in a variety of ways last season, where he recorded a 4.0 yards per carry average as a runner and grabbed a career-high 40 receptions.
The 28-year-old was undrafted out of Divison 3 Chadron State and failed to stick with the New York Jets before the Patriots signed him and utilized him in a more prominent role. The Chargers will most likely use him in a similar fashion and have him serve as a change of pace from incumbent and often-injured Ryan Mathews, who broke both clavicles last season.
For his career, Woodhead has a 4.7 yards per carry average and 100 receptions in 56 games, nine of which he was listed as the starter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates - December 11, 2013
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A. - December 11, 2013
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others - December 9, 2013