- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
NFL free agency: Danny Woodhead signs with Chargers
- Updated: March 15, 2013
Former New England Patriots running back Danny Woodhead has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers, according to ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss.
Free-agent RB Danny Woodhead agrees to 2-year deal with the Chargers, per source.
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) March 15, 2013
The signing for San Diego is its first big splash in NFL free agency in 2013, and gives them some depth at a position where they’ve been inconsistent over the past several years. Woodhead is a versatile player with exceptional speed and pass-catching ability. The Patriots used him in a variety of ways last season, where he recorded a 4.0 yards per carry average as a runner and grabbed a career-high 40 receptions.
The 28-year-old was undrafted out of Divison 3 Chadron State and failed to stick with the New York Jets before the Patriots signed him and utilized him in a more prominent role. The Chargers will most likely use him in a similar fashion and have him serve as a change of pace from incumbent and often-injured Ryan Mathews, who broke both clavicles last season.
For his career, Woodhead has a 4.7 yards per carry average and 100 receptions in 56 games, nine of which he was listed as the starter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015