- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
NFL free agency: Danny Woodhead signs with Chargers
- Updated: March 15, 2013
Former New England Patriots running back Danny Woodhead has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers, according to ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss.
Free-agent RB Danny Woodhead agrees to 2-year deal with the Chargers, per source.
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) March 15, 2013
The signing for San Diego is its first big splash in NFL free agency in 2013, and gives them some depth at a position where they’ve been inconsistent over the past several years. Woodhead is a versatile player with exceptional speed and pass-catching ability. The Patriots used him in a variety of ways last season, where he recorded a 4.0 yards per carry average as a runner and grabbed a career-high 40 receptions.
The 28-year-old was undrafted out of Divison 3 Chadron State and failed to stick with the New York Jets before the Patriots signed him and utilized him in a more prominent role. The Chargers will most likely use him in a similar fashion and have him serve as a change of pace from incumbent and often-injured Ryan Mathews, who broke both clavicles last season.
For his career, Woodhead has a 4.7 yards per carry average and 100 receptions in 56 games, nine of which he was listed as the starter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014