- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
NFL free agency: Danny Woodhead signs with Chargers
- Updated: March 15, 2013
Former New England Patriots running back Danny Woodhead has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Diego Chargers, according to ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss.
Free-agent RB Danny Woodhead agrees to 2-year deal with the Chargers, per source.
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) March 15, 2013
The signing for San Diego is its first big splash in NFL free agency in 2013, and gives them some depth at a position where they’ve been inconsistent over the past several years. Woodhead is a versatile player with exceptional speed and pass-catching ability. The Patriots used him in a variety of ways last season, where he recorded a 4.0 yards per carry average as a runner and grabbed a career-high 40 receptions.
The 28-year-old was undrafted out of Divison 3 Chadron State and failed to stick with the New York Jets before the Patriots signed him and utilized him in a more prominent role. The Chargers will most likely use him in a similar fashion and have him serve as a change of pace from incumbent and often-injured Ryan Mathews, who broke both clavicles last season.
For his career, Woodhead has a 4.7 yards per carry average and 100 receptions in 56 games, nine of which he was listed as the starter.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014