- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Pac-12 Tournament: USC, Stanford fall on Day 1
- Updated: March 14, 2013
The first day of the 2013 Pac-12 basketball tournament didn’t fail to disappoint in terms of drama, but the West Coast didn’t fare too well as a whole as the USC Trojans and Stanford Cardinal both fell in first-round action on Wednesday night.
For Stanford, it was a heartbreaking loss to Arizona State in overtime, 89-88, that will likely dash their NCAA Tournament hopes. Needless to say, they’ll be one of the teams interested come selection Sunday, but likely won’t have a realistic shot at getting in due to the early exit.
Jahii Carson, the freshman sensation from Mesa, Ariz., was too much for the Cardinal to handle, scoring 34 points in his first postseason NCAA game, and showed why he’s likely headed for stardom at the next level after earning co-Pac-12 player of the Year honors along with UCLA frosh superstar Shabazz Muhammad.
The Trojans capped a disappointing season with a lackluster showing against Utah and couldn’t muster enough offense to get the job done and overcome a 22-point performance from Jared DuBois as they fell, 69-66. Trojans big man Omar Oraby had a strong performance with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
Next up for the Pac-12 tourney is a full slate of games on Day 2 that will see both No. 1 seed UCLA and second-seeded Cal square off against Arizona State and Utah.Ready for March Madness? Enter the $100K NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015