- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
Pac-12 Tournament: USC, Stanford fall on Day 1
- Updated: March 14, 2013
The first day of the 2013 Pac-12 basketball tournament didn’t fail to disappoint in terms of drama, but the West Coast didn’t fare too well as a whole as the USC Trojans and Stanford Cardinal both fell in first-round action on Wednesday night.
For Stanford, it was a heartbreaking loss to Arizona State in overtime, 89-88, that will likely dash their NCAA Tournament hopes. Needless to say, they’ll be one of the teams interested come selection Sunday, but likely won’t have a realistic shot at getting in due to the early exit.
Jahii Carson, the freshman sensation from Mesa, Ariz., was too much for the Cardinal to handle, scoring 34 points in his first postseason NCAA game, and showed why he’s likely headed for stardom at the next level after earning co-Pac-12 player of the Year honors along with UCLA frosh superstar Shabazz Muhammad.
The Trojans capped a disappointing season with a lackluster showing against Utah and couldn’t muster enough offense to get the job done and overcome a 22-point performance from Jared DuBois as they fell, 69-66. Trojans big man Omar Oraby had a strong performance with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
Next up for the Pac-12 tourney is a full slate of games on Day 2 that will see both No. 1 seed UCLA and second-seeded Cal square off against Arizona State and Utah.Ready for March Madness? Enter the $100K NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014