- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Kobe Bryant severely sprains left ankle, out indefinitely (video)
- Updated: March 14, 2013
Shooting a jumper from the left baseline with three seconds left in the game, Bryant missed the game-tying shot and came down on Dahntay Jones’ foot. While x-rays are negative, Bryant said that it was his worst ankle sprain since the 2000 season.
Needless to say, this is horrible timing for the Lakers season, as the Lakers recently overtook the Utah Jazz for the eighth spot of the Western Conference standings. Bryant was particularly frustrated with the final play and called out the referees for how he was defended.
“First and foremost, the officials really need to protect shooters,” Bryant said regarding how he was defended by Jones. “You just can’t go into shooters. That’s a dangerous play.”
Entering this game, the Lakers had won 17 of their last 22 games. With this loss, the team is now 34-32 on the season and on the brink of possibly falling out of playoff position depending on the length and severity of Bryant’s injury.
Austin Chang is an Associate Editor for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013