- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
Padres news: Casey Kelly may require Tommy John surgery
- Updated: March 13, 2013
San Diego Padres pitcher Casey Kelly is still dealing with soreness on his right throwing elbow, and will undergo tests to explore the extent of the damage, according to MLB.com’s Padres reporter Corey Brock.
Though it’s only speculation at this point, the worst-case scenario would be that he would have to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament. If such an injury were to occur, the recovery time is roughly 12-18 months for pitchers. Kelly, who has not pitched since March 7, was expected to compete for the No. 5 starter role with San Diego, working to beat out Freddy Garcia, Anthony Bass and Tyson Ross.
The 23-year-old was one of the players who came to San Diego from the Boston Red Sox and was once considered the organization’s top prospect. He has tremendous upside and at his young age, could be the kind of player who could anchor the starting rotation. In his career through the 2012 season, he’s totaled 26 strikeouts with a 6.21 ERA and notched a 2-3 record.
Update: Bill Center of the U-T San Diego reports that the Padres are indeed concerned about of the elbow that involves Tommy John surgery.
Ready for March Madness? You can win $100K by entering the 2013 NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014