- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
Padres news: Casey Kelly may require Tommy John surgery
- Updated: March 13, 2013
San Diego Padres pitcher Casey Kelly is still dealing with soreness on his right throwing elbow, and will undergo tests to explore the extent of the damage, according to MLB.com’s Padres reporter Corey Brock.
Though it’s only speculation at this point, the worst-case scenario would be that he would have to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament. If such an injury were to occur, the recovery time is roughly 12-18 months for pitchers. Kelly, who has not pitched since March 7, was expected to compete for the No. 5 starter role with San Diego, working to beat out Freddy Garcia, Anthony Bass and Tyson Ross.
The 23-year-old was one of the players who came to San Diego from the Boston Red Sox and was once considered the organization’s top prospect. He has tremendous upside and at his young age, could be the kind of player who could anchor the starting rotation. In his career through the 2012 season, he’s totaled 26 strikeouts with a 6.21 ERA and notched a 2-3 record.
Update: Bill Center of the U-T San Diego reports that the Padres are indeed concerned about of the elbow that involves Tommy John surgery.
Ready for March Madness? You can win $100K by entering the 2013 NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters - March 13, 2015