- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Padres news: Casey Kelly may require Tommy John surgery
- Updated: March 13, 2013
San Diego Padres pitcher Casey Kelly is still dealing with soreness on his right throwing elbow, and will undergo tests to explore the extent of the damage, according to MLB.com’s Padres reporter Corey Brock.
Though it’s only speculation at this point, the worst-case scenario would be that he would have to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament. If such an injury were to occur, the recovery time is roughly 12-18 months for pitchers. Kelly, who has not pitched since March 7, was expected to compete for the No. 5 starter role with San Diego, working to beat out Freddy Garcia, Anthony Bass and Tyson Ross.
The 23-year-old was one of the players who came to San Diego from the Boston Red Sox and was once considered the organization’s top prospect. He has tremendous upside and at his young age, could be the kind of player who could anchor the starting rotation. In his career through the 2012 season, he’s totaled 26 strikeouts with a 6.21 ERA and notched a 2-3 record.
Update: Bill Center of the U-T San Diego reports that the Padres are indeed concerned about of the elbow that involves Tommy John surgery.
Ready for March Madness? You can win $100K by entering the 2013 NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015