- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
- Chargers, Kevin Faulconer begin new stadium talks
- Clippers’ Jamal Crawford says ‘sky is the limit’ for a healthy team
Padres news: Casey Kelly may require Tommy John surgery
- Updated: March 13, 2013
San Diego Padres pitcher Casey Kelly is still dealing with soreness on his right throwing elbow, and will undergo tests to explore the extent of the damage, according to MLB.com’s Padres reporter Corey Brock.
Though it’s only speculation at this point, the worst-case scenario would be that he would have to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament. If such an injury were to occur, the recovery time is roughly 12-18 months for pitchers. Kelly, who has not pitched since March 7, was expected to compete for the No. 5 starter role with San Diego, working to beat out Freddy Garcia, Anthony Bass and Tyson Ross.
The 23-year-old was one of the players who came to San Diego from the Boston Red Sox and was once considered the organization’s top prospect. He has tremendous upside and at his young age, could be the kind of player who could anchor the starting rotation. In his career through the 2012 season, he’s totaled 26 strikeouts with a 6.21 ERA and notched a 2-3 record.
Update: Bill Center of the U-T San Diego reports that the Padres are indeed concerned about of the elbow that involves Tommy John surgery.
Ready for March Madness? You can win $100K by entering the 2013 NCAA Bracket Challenge today with Sports Out West!
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014
- Warriors’ Mark Jackson says job security ‘determined on winning’ - April 10, 2014