- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
- Dodgers close to re-signing Brian Wilson
- Sacramento Kings show resilience in 97-95 loss to Oklahoma City Thunder
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash return to practice
- Jordan Farmar injury: Lakers G out 4 weeks with hamstring tear
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets
- Vernon Davis on groin tackle: ‘The most painful thing ever’
- NFC West Week 13 Roundup: Seahawks Clinch a playoff spot, 49ers stay in contention
49ers interested in Dolphins CB Sean Smith
- Updated: March 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers are one of four teams interested in Miami Dolphins free agent Sean Smith, according to a league source telling CSNBayArea.com.
Along with the Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the 49ers are one of the teams expected to go for Smith once he becomes available on the free-agent market on Tuesday. A huge player for defensive back standards (6-foot-3, 214 pounds), he would provide the 49ers with an excellent defender opposite of smaller starter Carlos Rogers (6-foot, 192 pounds) and a big-bodied defender on the outside.
A second-round draft pick for the Dolphins in 2009 out of Utah, Smith was a starter for Miami the past two seasons. Last year, he had his best statistical season with 59 total tackles, two interceptions and three forced fumbles. Similar in frame to cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner of the Seattle Seahawks, Smith’s presence could be a huge addition for the 49ers’ secondary, particularly if Dashon Goldson leaves during free agency.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013