- San Diego State football news: Four-star recruit DeSean Holmes abandons program
- Pressure doesn’t break Chris Taylor-Yamanoha
- Video: Watch Marshawn Lynch sell Skittles on shopping network
- Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal show love for one another on podcast
- Fred Jackson visits with Seahawks, contract imminent, per report
- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency
- Leonard Williams avoids serious knee-injury
- Tyrell Williams – former NCAA Division II wideout – is bolting up in San Diego
- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
49ers interested in Dolphins CB Sean Smith
- Updated: March 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers are one of four teams interested in Miami Dolphins free agent Sean Smith, according to a league source telling CSNBayArea.com.
Along with the Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the 49ers are one of the teams expected to go for Smith once he becomes available on the free-agent market on Tuesday. A huge player for defensive back standards (6-foot-3, 214 pounds), he would provide the 49ers with an excellent defender opposite of smaller starter Carlos Rogers (6-foot, 192 pounds) and a big-bodied defender on the outside.
A second-round draft pick for the Dolphins in 2009 out of Utah, Smith was a starter for Miami the past two seasons. Last year, he had his best statistical season with 59 total tackles, two interceptions and three forced fumbles. Similar in frame to cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner of the Seattle Seahawks, Smith’s presence could be a huge addition for the 49ers’ secondary, particularly if Dashon Goldson leaves during free agency.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013