- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Raiders release WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, S Michael Huff, DE David Tollefson
- Updated: March 12, 2013
To start the free agency period, the Oakland Raiders have released the following three players: Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, safety Michael Huff and defensive end David Tollefson, according to an announcement on the team’s Twitter page. These moves by general manager Reggie McKenzie were part of the team’s rebuilding efforts following the decisions made by late owner Al Davis.
Heyward-Bey, 26, was an infamous Davis selection due to his blazing speed. Drafted with the seventh overall pick in 2009, he failed to develop into a consistent route runner. He had his best numbers in the 2011-12 season, as he finished with 64 receptions for 975 receiving yards and four touchdowns.
Huff, 30, was also drafted by the Raiders with the seventh overall pick in the draft (2006). Transitioning from safety to cornerback last season, he was unwilling to take a pay cut and was too expensive for the rebuilding Raiders. In his seven seasons with the franchise, he recorded 441 tackles, 11 interceptions, 5.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.
Tollefson, 31, played just one season with the Raiders. Used sparingly, he recorded eight tackles last season.
The Raiders also decided to re-sign cornerback Phillip Adams. Terms have yet to be released.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013