- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Raiders release WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, S Michael Huff, DE David Tollefson
- Updated: March 12, 2013
To start the free agency period, the Oakland Raiders have released the following three players: Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, safety Michael Huff and defensive end David Tollefson, according to an announcement on the team’s Twitter page. These moves by general manager Reggie McKenzie were part of the team’s rebuilding efforts following the decisions made by late owner Al Davis.
Heyward-Bey, 26, was an infamous Davis selection due to his blazing speed. Drafted with the seventh overall pick in 2009, he failed to develop into a consistent route runner. He had his best numbers in the 2011-12 season, as he finished with 64 receptions for 975 receiving yards and four touchdowns.
Huff, 30, was also drafted by the Raiders with the seventh overall pick in the draft (2006). Transitioning from safety to cornerback last season, he was unwilling to take a pay cut and was too expensive for the rebuilding Raiders. In his seven seasons with the franchise, he recorded 441 tackles, 11 interceptions, 5.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.
Tollefson, 31, played just one season with the Raiders. Used sparingly, he recorded eight tackles last season.
The Raiders also decided to re-sign cornerback Phillip Adams. Terms have yet to be released.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013