- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
Free agent tight end Delanie Walker signs four-year deal with Titans
- Updated: March 12, 2013
San Francisco 49ers free agent tight end Delanie Walker has signed a four-year deal with the Tennessee Titans, according to Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean announced via Twitter.
In 2012, Walker had 21 catches for 344 yards and three touchdowns. While his receiving numbers weren’t jaw dropping and he was overshadowed by starter Vernon Davis, his unique size and speed combination, as well as his excellent blocking skills on offense and special teams, made him a valuable member of the 49ers roster.
A versatile receiver who gave 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman many options for formations, his departure during free agency was likely given Davis’ presence. Under contract through 2015, Davis’ spot as starter was never in jeopardy and Walker, if he had returned, would never be a starter with the 49ers. Walker played in nearly 60 percent of the team’s offensive snaps at tight end, fullback, H-back, slot receiver and wide receiver despite being a reserve.
With the signing of Walker, the Titans now have a security blanket or a replacement starter if they do not re-sign Jared Cook, a tight end with similar abilities to Walker.
Update: Walker received a four-year, $17.5 million deal with $8.6 million guaranteed, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter via Twitter.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013