- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
Cal’s Allen Crabbe wins Pac-12 Player of the Year award
- Updated: March 12, 2013
On Monday, junior guard Allen Crabbe was named Pac-12 Conference Player of the Year. He also earned All-Pac-12 first-team honors as well.
“To win an award like this, it’s a wonderful feeling, a blessing,” Crabbe said. “The offseason really is a time for you to improve your game, and I wanted to become more of a complete basketball player, somebody who can impact the game on both ends.”
Averaging 18.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.2 steals a game, he was the seventh player in school history to win the prestigious award. Past players to win the award include Jason Kidd (1994), Shareef Abdur-Rahim (1996), Ed Gray (1997), Sean Lampley (2001), Jerome Randle (2010) and Jorge Gutierrez (2012). Largely thanks to his scoring and all-around performance, Cal has the No. 2 seed in the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas which will begin play on Thursday against the winner of No. 7 USC and No. 10 Utah.
As determined with a vote by the 12 conference coaches, other major Pac-12 awards included Stanford’s Dwight Powell being named the most improved player, Oregon’s Dana Altman winning coach of the year honors, UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad and Arizona State’s Jahii Carson sharing the freshmen of the year award, and Colorado’s Andre Roberson earning best defender award.
Cal’s Justin Cobbs also earned an end-of-the-season award, as he received second-team all-conference honors.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013