- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
49ers news: DT Ian Wiliams inks 2-year extension
- Updated: March 12, 2013
The contract is valued at $3.2 million and will include a $1 million signing bonus. Williams, a 6 ft. 2, 305-pound former University of Notre Dame star, started three games in 2012 and finished the season with three tackles in limited action behind incumbents Justin Smith and Ray McDonald. San Francisco’s defense finished No. 2 in the NFL in points allowed and has talent at every position.
Williams will likely compete for a primary backup role behind MacDonald and Smith as he continues to work toward a chance at gaining a more prominent role on the team’s talent-filled roster. The Niners made a splash on both sides of the ball on Tuesday as they also acquired wide receiver Anquan Boldin from the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick in 2013.
Also on Monday, Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin was traded to the rival Seattle Seahawks when it was believed that the dynamic playmaker was on the radar of the 49ers.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015