- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
49ers news: DT Ian Wiliams inks 2-year extension
- Updated: March 12, 2013
The contract is valued at $3.2 million and will include a $1 million signing bonus. Williams, a 6 ft. 2, 305-pound former University of Notre Dame star, started three games in 2012 and finished the season with three tackles in limited action behind incumbents Justin Smith and Ray McDonald. San Francisco’s defense finished No. 2 in the NFL in points allowed and has talent at every position.
Williams will likely compete for a primary backup role behind MacDonald and Smith as he continues to work toward a chance at gaining a more prominent role on the team’s talent-filled roster. The Niners made a splash on both sides of the ball on Tuesday as they also acquired wide receiver Anquan Boldin from the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick in 2013.
Also on Monday, Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin was traded to the rival Seattle Seahawks when it was believed that the dynamic playmaker was on the radar of the 49ers.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014