- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
49ers news: DT Ian Wiliams inks 2-year extension
- Updated: March 12, 2013
The contract is valued at $3.2 million and will include a $1 million signing bonus. Williams, a 6 ft. 2, 305-pound former University of Notre Dame star, started three games in 2012 and finished the season with three tackles in limited action behind incumbents Justin Smith and Ray McDonald. San Francisco’s defense finished No. 2 in the NFL in points allowed and has talent at every position.
Williams will likely compete for a primary backup role behind MacDonald and Smith as he continues to work toward a chance at gaining a more prominent role on the team’s talent-filled roster. The Niners made a splash on both sides of the ball on Tuesday as they also acquired wide receiver Anquan Boldin from the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick in 2013.
Also on Monday, Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin was traded to the rival Seattle Seahawks when it was believed that the dynamic playmaker was on the radar of the 49ers.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014