- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Padres spring training: Jedd Gyorko praised by manager Bud Black
- Updated: March 10, 2013
San Diego Padres prospect Jedd Gyorko has made major strides forward this spring in a short amount of time, and manager Bud Black has noticed as the Padres’ top prospect makes the transition from third to second base.
“He’s handled second base very nicely. He’s making all the plays [and] turning a real good double play. Hands are good. Feet are good, “Black told MLB.com on Saturday. “He’s done some nice things. You can tell this guy is a baseball player.”
The Padres will benefit a great deal if Gyorko can win the job outright due to his ability as a hitter. His defense has been the only question mark as he’s had to make the switch from his natural position in deference to Chase Headley.
Black’s comments indicate that everything is going according to plan in order to develop Gyorko and get him on track to shore up the middle of the infield and add some pop to the lineup. With the coaching staff’s confidence, he’ll have every opportunity to showcase his abilities in the Cactus League.
Last year in Triple-A Tuscon, the 24-year-old hit .328 and had a .380 on-base percentage. San Diego finished last season 10th in the National League in runs scored with 651, so a player that can add those numbers as a middle infielder is a major asset.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014