- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
Padres spring training: Jedd Gyorko praised by manager Bud Black
- Updated: March 10, 2013
San Diego Padres prospect Jedd Gyorko has made major strides forward this spring in a short amount of time, and manager Bud Black has noticed as the Padres’ top prospect makes the transition from third to second base.
“He’s handled second base very nicely. He’s making all the plays [and] turning a real good double play. Hands are good. Feet are good, “Black told MLB.com on Saturday. “He’s done some nice things. You can tell this guy is a baseball player.”
The Padres will benefit a great deal if Gyorko can win the job outright due to his ability as a hitter. His defense has been the only question mark as he’s had to make the switch from his natural position in deference to Chase Headley.
Black’s comments indicate that everything is going according to plan in order to develop Gyorko and get him on track to shore up the middle of the infield and add some pop to the lineup. With the coaching staff’s confidence, he’ll have every opportunity to showcase his abilities in the Cactus League.
Last year in Triple-A Tuscon, the 24-year-old hit .328 and had a .380 on-base percentage. San Diego finished last season 10th in the National League in runs scored with 651, so a player that can add those numbers as a middle infielder is a major asset.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014