- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
Padres spring training: Jedd Gyorko praised by manager Bud Black
- Updated: March 10, 2013
San Diego Padres prospect Jedd Gyorko has made major strides forward this spring in a short amount of time, and manager Bud Black has noticed as the Padres’ top prospect makes the transition from third to second base.
“He’s handled second base very nicely. He’s making all the plays [and] turning a real good double play. Hands are good. Feet are good, “Black told MLB.com on Saturday. “He’s done some nice things. You can tell this guy is a baseball player.”
The Padres will benefit a great deal if Gyorko can win the job outright due to his ability as a hitter. His defense has been the only question mark as he’s had to make the switch from his natural position in deference to Chase Headley.
Black’s comments indicate that everything is going according to plan in order to develop Gyorko and get him on track to shore up the middle of the infield and add some pop to the lineup. With the coaching staff’s confidence, he’ll have every opportunity to showcase his abilities in the Cactus League.
Last year in Triple-A Tuscon, the 24-year-old hit .328 and had a .380 on-base percentage. San Diego finished last season 10th in the National League in runs scored with 651, so a player that can add those numbers as a middle infielder is a major asset.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- 3 MMA podcasts you should be listening to - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014