- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
Tommy Kelly sees “writing on wall,” expects release from Raiders
- Updated: March 9, 2013
Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly is expecting his release from his seven-year, $50.1 million contract, according to comments he made to the San Francisco Chronicle.
“The writing is on the wall,” Kelly said. “The team is going in another direction. I’m ready for the next chapter. … They’re ready, too.”
With two years remaining on his seven-year deal, $6.5 million in 2013 and $7 million in 2014, the Raiders would save $4.8 million against the salary cap next season if he were released. As Kelly referred to in his comments, the Raiders are going in a different, cost-saving direction, as they recently restructured the contracts of guard Mike Brisiel and safety Tyvon Branch in order to be $6 million under the salary cap.
Despite starting in all 16 games for the Raiders in each of the past five seasons, Kelly, 32, was not as productive in 2012. After recording seven sacks in 2010 and 7.5 sacks in 2011, he struggled to get to the quarterback and was frustrated when he finished last season with just one sack.
Aside from Kelly’s expected release, the rest of the Raiders’ defensive line is also in question. Richard Seymour, Matt Shaughnessy, Desmond Bryant and Andre Carter may all become free agents once free agency begins on Tuesday.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013