- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Lakers Robert Sacre, Darius Morris headed to D-League
- Updated: March 9, 2013
The two players have struggled to find minutes as the Lakers have used an eight-man rotation in recent weeks that has included Steve Blake, Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison, leaving little time for the young players to gain experience. Morris, a second-year 6-foot-4 guard out of Michigan, played in 42 games in 2012-13, averaging 4.4 points, 1.7 assists and 1.2 rebounds in 42 games overall, 17 of which he started. He last logged five minutes in the Lakers Feb. 28 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves and finished with zero points, one rebound and one assist.
Sacre, a 7-foot rookie out of Gonzaga has also found the rotation tough to crack, playing in just 27 games where he averaged 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds in 7.2 minutes. Even with the depletion of key frontcourt personnel like Jordan Hill (hip injury, out for the season) and Pau Gasol (out indefinitely, torn plantar fascia), he hasn’t been able to make an impact. Head coach Mike D’Antoni has chosen to often go with a smaller group that can stretch the floor from deep rather than rely on post players to get the job done.
Though the Lakers will send both players to the D-League affiliate D-Fenders, that does not free up roster space to sign a potential free agents. What it does do, however, is give two young players a chance to play rather than sit, so that if their number is called come playoff time, they’ll have some more experience to draw from.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014