- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
Chargers release LB Takeo Spikes
- Updated: March 8, 2013
The San Diego Chargers have released Takeo Spikes, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to the team’s official website. Spikes had played linebacker for the team for the past two seasons. Spikes is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the NFL. — Abdur-Rahim was a talented power forward in the NBA and a journeyman who did not make the playoffs until his 12th season; it was the only time he would make it in his career.
Spikes, who just finished his 15th season, is similarly still looking to make the playoffs for the first time himself.
Spikes should draw interest from teams as he is still a quality linebacker. With so many teams employing the 3-4 defensive scheme and knowing linebacker depth is a must, his phone should ring sooner than later. The Chargers will likely seek to add a linebacker in the draft. They have plenty of needs elsewhere, so it’s uncertain whether or not they’ll select one in the first round.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL Training Camp 2014: 5 Veterans who need a strong Camp - July 23, 2014
- NBA Offseason 2014: Will the Cavaliers regret re-signing Lebron James? - July 16, 2014
- NBA Offseason 2014: Top Five Teams affected By Lebron James decision - July 14, 2014