- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Chargers release LB Takeo Spikes
- Updated: March 8, 2013
The San Diego Chargers have released Takeo Spikes, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to the team’s official website. Spikes had played linebacker for the team for the past two seasons. Spikes is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the NFL. — Abdur-Rahim was a talented power forward in the NBA and a journeyman who did not make the playoffs until his 12th season; it was the only time he would make it in his career.
Spikes, who just finished his 15th season, is similarly still looking to make the playoffs for the first time himself.
Spikes should draw interest from teams as he is still a quality linebacker. With so many teams employing the 3-4 defensive scheme and knowing linebacker depth is a must, his phone should ring sooner than later. The Chargers will likely seek to add a linebacker in the draft. They have plenty of needs elsewhere, so it’s uncertain whether or not they’ll select one in the first round.