- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Chargers release LB Takeo Spikes
- Updated: March 8, 2013
The San Diego Chargers have released Takeo Spikes, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to the team’s official website. Spikes had played linebacker for the team for the past two seasons. Spikes is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the NFL. — Abdur-Rahim was a talented power forward in the NBA and a journeyman who did not make the playoffs until his 12th season; it was the only time he would make it in his career.
Spikes, who just finished his 15th season, is similarly still looking to make the playoffs for the first time himself.
Spikes should draw interest from teams as he is still a quality linebacker. With so many teams employing the 3-4 defensive scheme and knowing linebacker depth is a must, his phone should ring sooner than later. The Chargers will likely seek to add a linebacker in the draft. They have plenty of needs elsewhere, so it’s uncertain whether or not they’ll select one in the first round.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL free agency 2014: AFC West Free Agent Targets - March 5, 2014
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact - March 3, 2014
- 49ers news: Can Jim Harbaugh and management coexist? - February 26, 2014