- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
Chargers release LB Takeo Spikes
- Updated: March 8, 2013
The San Diego Chargers have released Takeo Spikes, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to the team’s official website. Spikes had played linebacker for the team for the past two seasons. Spikes is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the NFL. — Abdur-Rahim was a talented power forward in the NBA and a journeyman who did not make the playoffs until his 12th season; it was the only time he would make it in his career.
Spikes, who just finished his 15th season, is similarly still looking to make the playoffs for the first time himself.
Spikes should draw interest from teams as he is still a quality linebacker. With so many teams employing the 3-4 defensive scheme and knowing linebacker depth is a must, his phone should ring sooner than later. The Chargers will likely seek to add a linebacker in the draft. They have plenty of needs elsewhere, so it’s uncertain whether or not they’ll select one in the first round.