- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
Chargers release LB Takeo Spikes
- Updated: March 8, 2013
The San Diego Chargers have released Takeo Spikes, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to the team’s official website. Spikes had played linebacker for the team for the past two seasons. Spikes is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the NFL. — Abdur-Rahim was a talented power forward in the NBA and a journeyman who did not make the playoffs until his 12th season; it was the only time he would make it in his career.
Spikes, who just finished his 15th season, is similarly still looking to make the playoffs for the first time himself.
Spikes should draw interest from teams as he is still a quality linebacker. With so many teams employing the 3-4 defensive scheme and knowing linebacker depth is a must, his phone should ring sooner than later. The Chargers will likely seek to add a linebacker in the draft. They have plenty of needs elsewhere, so it’s uncertain whether or not they’ll select one in the first round.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- Star athletes need to speak up! - August 20, 2014
- NFL Preseason Week 2 Standouts - August 18, 2014
- NFL Preseason 2014: 5 Quarteracks who must perform well this season - August 13, 2014