- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
NFL draft 2013: Desmond Trufant says 40 time fueled by doubters
- Updated: March 7, 2013
University of Washington star defensive back Desmond Trufant ran an impressive 4.38 40-yard dash time at the 2013 NFL scouting combine in February, and he said on Wednesday that he heard his doubters who said he couldn’t turn in such an impressive time.
“I heard people thought I couldn’t really run. I heard people saying I was a 4.5 or high 4.5 guy and that I was stiff and things like that, he told Mitch Levy of Seattle’s KJR.Those things have been natural to me my whole life, so I just knew once I got the opportunity, I was just going to open everybody’s eyes. I just used it to my advantage.”
Trufant also said he’s run faster times in the past, including a 4.33 while at the University of Washington at a school-run combine. The time at the NFL combine impressed scouts nonetheless and potentially could vault him into the first round.
The brother of NFL players Marcus Trufant and Isaiah Trufant, he has plenty of opportunity to learn the game first-hand and already exudes the confidence necessary to be a solid professional. He told NFL.com that he feels he’s the best cornerback in the draft, and that may not be a stretch. He started 45 consecutive games at Washington at one point in his career.
In four seasons with the Huskies from 2009-2012, Trufant totaled 151 solo tackles, three forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and six interceptions in 50 career games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency - June 29, 2015
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes - June 15, 2015
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons - June 15, 2015