- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
NFL draft 2013: Desmond Trufant says 40 time fueled by doubters
- Updated: March 7, 2013
University of Washington star defensive back Desmond Trufant ran an impressive 4.38 40-yard dash time at the 2013 NFL scouting combine in February, and he said on Wednesday that he heard his doubters who said he couldn’t turn in such an impressive time.
“I heard people thought I couldn’t really run. I heard people saying I was a 4.5 or high 4.5 guy and that I was stiff and things like that, he told Mitch Levy of Seattle’s KJR.Those things have been natural to me my whole life, so I just knew once I got the opportunity, I was just going to open everybody’s eyes. I just used it to my advantage.”
Trufant also said he’s run faster times in the past, including a 4.33 while at the University of Washington at a school-run combine. The time at the NFL combine impressed scouts nonetheless and potentially could vault him into the first round.
The brother of NFL players Marcus Trufant and Isaiah Trufant, he has plenty of opportunity to learn the game first-hand and already exudes the confidence necessary to be a solid professional. He told NFL.com that he feels he’s the best cornerback in the draft, and that may not be a stretch. He started 45 consecutive games at Washington at one point in his career.
In four seasons with the Huskies from 2009-2012, Trufant totaled 151 solo tackles, three forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and six interceptions in 50 career games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015