- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
Seahawks sign former pro basketball player Darren Fells to 3-year deal
- Updated: March 7, 2013
The Seattle Seahawks signed former professional basketball player Darren Fells to a three-year contract, as first announced by Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.
Fells, 26, stands in at 6-foot-7 and 280 pounds. He last played professional basketball for the Libertad Sunchales basketball team in Argentina. Prior to playing in Argentina, he also played pro ball in Finland, Belgium, Mexico and France after finishing his collegiate career at University of California, Irvine.
Planning to hold a Pro Day down the line, he visited the Seahawks on Tuesday. Despite having zero college football experience, Seattle decided to offer him a three-year contract, as they hope to find the next great tight end with a basketball background like Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez or Jimmy Graham. Given his size, athleticism, leaping ability and hands he developed as a basketball player, Fells has some definite athletic advantages over some of the opposition he will face in the NFL.
Fells is the younger brother of Daniel Fells, a tight end who has spent time with the St. Louis Rams, Denver Broncos and New England Patriots.
Austin Chang is a Writer for Sports Out West and a San Francisco Bay Area-based sports journalist. His work can also be found on Yahoo! Sports and Rant Sports. Follow him on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013