- Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
49ers news: David Akers released prior to free agency
- Updated: March 6, 2013
In a move that was almost guaranteed to be forthcoming, the San Francisco 49ers released kicker David Akers on Wednesday.
The team released a statement via its public relations department:
“The 49ers would like to thank David for his service, dedication and leadership over the past two years,” said 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke. “He is a true professional who represented himself and this organization with class. We wish him, and his family, all the best.”
Akers had a stellar season in 2011, but struggled in 2012 and made fans in the Bay Area nervous with his tendency to miss big kicks. After he made an NFL record 63-yarder in the 2012 opening game against the Green Bay Packers, things went south for him, and he failed to find a rhythm en route to his worst season as a full-time kicker.
He played in all 32 games for the Niners in two seasons with the team, including five postseason appearances. In 2011, he led the NFL with 44 field goals made and finished with an 84.6 percent conversion rate. In 2012, he made just 69 percent of his kicks and just 8-of-13 from 30-39 yards. The coaching staff showed their lost trust in him when they brought in free agents Nate Kaeding and Billy Cundiff to audition for the team’s kicking duties prior to the postseason.
Akers finished his career in San Francisco on a relatively high note, despite his in-season struggles. He made all three of his kicks in Super Bowl XLVII.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014