- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
49ers free agency 2013: David Akers likely to be released
- Updated: March 5, 2013
He was scheduled to make $3 million in 2013 and the move will save the team valuable cap space prior to the upcoming free agent signing period. Akers struggled mightily in 2012 after a record-setting season in 2011 where he had 44 field goals and a team-record 166 points. Last year, he made just 69.0 percent of his kicks, which was his lowest conversion rate since he began kicking full-time in 2000.
San Francisco entertained the idea of cutting him in 2012 when they brought in Nate Kaeding and Billy Cundiff to potentially compete for the job after he missed several critical kicks throughout the season. Major questions arose as to whether or not he could be trusted in the playoffs, but he managed to make important kicks when called upon, making 4-of-5 postseason kicks and all three in Super Bowl XLVII.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015