- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
49ers free agency 2013: David Akers likely to be released
- Updated: March 5, 2013
He was scheduled to make $3 million in 2013 and the move will save the team valuable cap space prior to the upcoming free agent signing period. Akers struggled mightily in 2012 after a record-setting season in 2011 where he had 44 field goals and a team-record 166 points. Last year, he made just 69.0 percent of his kicks, which was his lowest conversion rate since he began kicking full-time in 2000.
San Francisco entertained the idea of cutting him in 2012 when they brought in Nate Kaeding and Billy Cundiff to potentially compete for the job after he missed several critical kicks throughout the season. Major questions arose as to whether or not he could be trusted in the playoffs, but he managed to make important kicks when called upon, making 4-of-5 postseason kicks and all three in Super Bowl XLVII.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014