- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Magic Johnson to LeBron James: ‘Get in the dunk contest’
- Updated: March 2, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers legend Magic Johnson pleaded with LeBron James to rescue he and fans everywhere from what has been a debacle in recent years when he offered a $1 million penance to the superstar for participating in next NBA slam dunk contest.
“Please, LeBron, get in the dunk contest. I’m going to put up a million dollars,” Johnson said on ESPN’s Kia NBA Countdown. “A million dollars from Magic to LeBron. Please get in the dunk contest. I go every year. I want to see you out there.”
He further went on to say that that million dollars would also go to anyone who could beat him. James has drawn a lot of attention for his recent pre-game dunking ritual, but has since vowed to stop. He’s routinely called himself an in-game dunker and not as much of a showman as some of the recent winners, but the fans clamor for his participation every year.
On Friday’s broadcast, Johnson and his colleagues discussed the fact that the contest is missing its luster because superstars have been reluctant to participate in the event on a consistent basis. Jalen Rose cited Blake Griffin as an example of a high-profile player who won the event, but has since not defended his title.
In 2012-13, James is ranked seventh in the league in dunks with 98. Griffin is first with 152.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014