- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Magic Johnson to LeBron James: ‘Get in the dunk contest’
- Updated: March 2, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers legend Magic Johnson pleaded with LeBron James to rescue he and fans everywhere from what has been a debacle in recent years when he offered a $1 million penance to the superstar for participating in next NBA slam dunk contest.
“Please, LeBron, get in the dunk contest. I’m going to put up a million dollars,” Johnson said on ESPN’s Kia NBA Countdown. “A million dollars from Magic to LeBron. Please get in the dunk contest. I go every year. I want to see you out there.”
He further went on to say that that million dollars would also go to anyone who could beat him. James has drawn a lot of attention for his recent pre-game dunking ritual, but has since vowed to stop. He’s routinely called himself an in-game dunker and not as much of a showman as some of the recent winners, but the fans clamor for his participation every year.
On Friday’s broadcast, Johnson and his colleagues discussed the fact that the contest is missing its luster because superstars have been reluctant to participate in the event on a consistent basis. Jalen Rose cited Blake Griffin as an example of a high-profile player who won the event, but has since not defended his title.
In 2012-13, James is ranked seventh in the league in dunks with 98. Griffin is first with 152.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014