- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Klay Thompson fined by former NBA father
- Updated: March 1, 2013
Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson was fined $35,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for his part in Tuesday’s multi-player tussle with the Indiana Pacers. This is the first time Thompson has been fined during his two year career but it appears the NBA’s fine is not the only one he is going to be assessed.
Thompson’s father is former No. 1 overall pick in the NBA, spending 12 seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers, San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers.
It appears that Mychal is going to assess his son an additional fine by reducing the envelope of cash he sends Klay this week.
Klay is 23 years old and all his checks go to his parents Mychal and Julie, who in turn take care of his accounts in order to set him up financially when his NBA career is over.
Mychal Thompson has a radio show with ESPN Los Angeles and is an radio analyst for the Lakers. He discussed with Believe the Hype via TBJ the situation with Klay, his response is that he “wants to teach his son a lesson the old fashioned way by fining him personally.”
He was asked, what would happen if Klay wanted to take a girl out for a nice date? Mychal responded by saying, “Go to the grocery store and get a nice bottle of wine instead of going out to an expensive dinner.”
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles area-based sports journalist. Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- ALDS 2014: What went wrong in the Angels’ 0-3 debacle? - October 12, 2014
- Angels top-3 threats to derailing World Series aspirations - October 5, 2014
- Angels postseason: 5 keys for the Halos to win the ALDS - September 29, 2014