- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
Klay Thompson fined by former NBA father
- Updated: March 1, 2013
Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson was fined $35,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for his part in Tuesday’s multi-player tussle with the Indiana Pacers. This is the first time Thompson has been fined during his two year career but it appears the NBA’s fine is not the only one he is going to be assessed.
Thompson’s father is former No. 1 overall pick in the NBA, spending 12 seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers, San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers.
It appears that Mychal is going to assess his son an additional fine by reducing the envelope of cash he sends Klay this week.
Klay is 23 years old and all his checks go to his parents Mychal and Julie, who in turn take care of his accounts in order to set him up financially when his NBA career is over.
Mychal Thompson has a radio show with ESPN Los Angeles and is an radio analyst for the Lakers. He discussed with Believe the Hype via TBJ the situation with Klay, his response is that he “wants to teach his son a lesson the old fashioned way by fining him personally.”
He was asked, what would happen if Klay wanted to take a girl out for a nice date? Mychal responded by saying, “Go to the grocery store and get a nice bottle of wine instead of going out to an expensive dinner.”
Robert W. Ekberg is a staff writer for SportsOutWest and Los Angeles area-based sports journalist. Follow him on Twitter @Robek24
Latest posts by Robert Ekberg (see all)
- Josh Hamilton injury: 3 ways the Angels can overcome the loss of star OF - April 16, 2014
- Los Angeles Angels: 5 most troubling aspects of 2014 season - April 9, 2014
- Los Angeles Angels: 5 keys to Mike Scioscia’s job security in 2014 - April 5, 2014