- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
San Diego State loses to No. 14 New Mexico, 70-60
- Updated: February 28, 2013
With a win against New Mexico Wednesday night, the San Diego State Aztecs would have had solidified themselves as one of the top three teams in the Mountain West Conference. However, they blew their chance as the fell, 70-60.
San Diego State lost 70-60 to the fourteenth ranked and top seed in the MWC, New Mexico Lobos. While San Diego State had a fairly good first half, they lost all momentum when the Lobos went on an 11-2 run early in the second half. The smallest deficit for the Aztecs after that run was five points according to GoAztecs.com.
The Aztecs, very much like the college basketball season, have been inconsistent all year. While the Aztecs have looked incredible at moments, they have only beaten one ranked team all year. Although Jamaal Franklin is on the Naismith Watch List, he did not play like it Thursday night. While he may have scored 16 points, Franklin shot 3-of-13 from the field and was 1-of-7 from deep in 35 minutes of play. But all the blame is not on Jamaal here.
The Aztecs shot 4-of-23 from three point range and had a field goal percentage of 36.2. With James Rahon not completely healthy, the guard depth is hurting. Xavier Thames also had a bad game also shooting 3-13 while going 1-for-6 from three point range.. The Aztecs still don’t have a go-to guy they can rely on. While the season has taken some nasty turns for the Aztecs, they still have a chance to finish up strong heading into the MWC tournament.
They play Air Force at home March 6 and then head to Boise to take on the Broncos March 9. Both wins would at least give San Diego State some momentum and maybe something to look forward to come MWC tournament time. Even with this loss at New Mexico, the Aztecs still have a chance to make some noise in March Madness.
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Padres News: Josh Johnson will undergo Tommy John Surgery - April 24, 2014
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions - April 16, 2014
- 5 Padres who need strong seasons in 2014 - April 13, 2014