- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Lakers news: Mitch Kupchak says Mike Brown firing was due to Buss’ health
- Updated: February 28, 2013
When the Los Angeles Lakers fired former head coach Mike Brown after just five games following a 1-4 start, much of the sports world scratched its head, and general manager Mitch Kuphcak has finally shed some more light as to why it played out in such bizarre fashion.
In an interview with CBS Radio (via ESPN Los Angeles), Kupchak said that lack of patience was a factor (obviously), but also revealed that the failing health of the team’s beloved owner, Dr. Jerry Buss, may have augmented that fact.
“When we made the changes we made in the offseason, we really did it with a two- or maybe even a three-year window, probably a two-year window to do our best and win a championship, Kupchak said in the interview. “And clearly we knew Dr. Buss was not in great health, and we were hoping for the next year or two we could put something on the court that would result in being in the hunt at the end of the year for a championship.”
The Lakers have a starting lineup with just one player under the age of 32 along with a bench that is 26th in the NBA in scoring with 27.0 points per game through 58 games. They acquired Dwight Howard in the offseason without any assurance that he would re-sign, though they are confident he will do so. The Lakers also gave up two first-rounders to acquire a then-38 year-old Steve Nash.
In other words, their window is already shutting as fast as it opened over the offseason, with the Lakers overmatched vs. the NBA’s elite.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014