- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Alex Smith rumors: 49ers ‘absolutely’ trading QB
- Updated: February 27, 2013
The 49ers are believed to be seeking at least a second-round pick for Smith, who had his best season as a professional in 2012 before being benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick. The team wasn’t willing to give up the former No. 1 overall pick for nothing via release or a lesser draft pick, and sources have confirmed that they will receive at least that in any potential transaction.
The Kansas City Chiefs and Arizona Cardinals are the frontrunners to land Smith. With new head coach Andy Reid at the helm, they would rather bring in an experienced quarterback to run the new offense rather than start from scratch, while the Cardinals are in desperate need for any solution at the position.
Head coach Jim Harbaugh replaced Smtih in the starting lineup following a Week 9 concussion he suffered. The Niners had the unique problem of having two capable starters, but Harbaugh decided to go with the younger, less experienced player in a gutsy move. With Smith on his way out, the role for primary backup is likely to become an open competition as was the third string job a season ago behind Smith and Kaepernick.