- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Alex Smith rumors: 49ers ‘absolutely’ trading QB
- Updated: February 27, 2013
The 49ers are believed to be seeking at least a second-round pick for Smith, who had his best season as a professional in 2012 before being benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick. The team wasn’t willing to give up the former No. 1 overall pick for nothing via release or a lesser draft pick, and sources have confirmed that they will receive at least that in any potential transaction.
The Kansas City Chiefs and Arizona Cardinals are the frontrunners to land Smith. With new head coach Andy Reid at the helm, they would rather bring in an experienced quarterback to run the new offense rather than start from scratch, while the Cardinals are in desperate need for any solution at the position.
Head coach Jim Harbaugh replaced Smtih in the starting lineup following a Week 9 concussion he suffered. The Niners had the unique problem of having two capable starters, but Harbaugh decided to go with the younger, less experienced player in a gutsy move. With Smith on his way out, the role for primary backup is likely to become an open competition as was the third string job a season ago behind Smith and Kaepernick.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014