- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Alex Smith rumors: 49ers ‘absolutely’ trading QB
- Updated: February 27, 2013
The 49ers are believed to be seeking at least a second-round pick for Smith, who had his best season as a professional in 2012 before being benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick. The team wasn’t willing to give up the former No. 1 overall pick for nothing via release or a lesser draft pick, and sources have confirmed that they will receive at least that in any potential transaction.
The Kansas City Chiefs and Arizona Cardinals are the frontrunners to land Smith. With new head coach Andy Reid at the helm, they would rather bring in an experienced quarterback to run the new offense rather than start from scratch, while the Cardinals are in desperate need for any solution at the position.
Head coach Jim Harbaugh replaced Smtih in the starting lineup following a Week 9 concussion he suffered. The Niners had the unique problem of having two capable starters, but Harbaugh decided to go with the younger, less experienced player in a gutsy move. With Smith on his way out, the role for primary backup is likely to become an open competition as was the third string job a season ago behind Smith and Kaepernick.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014