- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency
- Leonard Williams avoids serious knee-injury
- Tyrell Williams – former NCAA Division II wideout – is bolting up in San Diego
- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
Alex Smith rumors: 49ers ‘absolutely’ trading QB
- Updated: February 27, 2013
The 49ers are believed to be seeking at least a second-round pick for Smith, who had his best season as a professional in 2012 before being benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick. The team wasn’t willing to give up the former No. 1 overall pick for nothing via release or a lesser draft pick, and sources have confirmed that they will receive at least that in any potential transaction.
The Kansas City Chiefs and Arizona Cardinals are the frontrunners to land Smith. With new head coach Andy Reid at the helm, they would rather bring in an experienced quarterback to run the new offense rather than start from scratch, while the Cardinals are in desperate need for any solution at the position.
Head coach Jim Harbaugh replaced Smtih in the starting lineup following a Week 9 concussion he suffered. The Niners had the unique problem of having two capable starters, but Harbaugh decided to go with the younger, less experienced player in a gutsy move. With Smith on his way out, the role for primary backup is likely to become an open competition as was the third string job a season ago behind Smith and Kaepernick.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015