- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Alex Smith rumors: 49ers ‘absolutely’ trading QB
- Updated: February 27, 2013
The 49ers are believed to be seeking at least a second-round pick for Smith, who had his best season as a professional in 2012 before being benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick. The team wasn’t willing to give up the former No. 1 overall pick for nothing via release or a lesser draft pick, and sources have confirmed that they will receive at least that in any potential transaction.
The Kansas City Chiefs and Arizona Cardinals are the frontrunners to land Smith. With new head coach Andy Reid at the helm, they would rather bring in an experienced quarterback to run the new offense rather than start from scratch, while the Cardinals are in desperate need for any solution at the position.
Head coach Jim Harbaugh replaced Smtih in the starting lineup following a Week 9 concussion he suffered. The Niners had the unique problem of having two capable starters, but Harbaugh decided to go with the younger, less experienced player in a gutsy move. With Smith on his way out, the role for primary backup is likely to become an open competition as was the third string job a season ago behind Smith and Kaepernick.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014