- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
Lakers news: Phil Jackson says Dwight Howard’s strengths ‘eliminated’
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Former Los Angeles Lakers head coach and 11-time NBA champion Phil Jackson has separated himself from the team from a professional standpoint, but he, like the rest of the basketball-watching public, has watched the 25-29 team struggle.
“They just don’t put the ball in the post,” Jackson said. “They’ll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there’s no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe [Bryant] will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn’t get any touches. They’ve basically eliminated his assets.”
About Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard — they’ve had their share of differences this season, and Mike D’Antoni’s system of utilizing perimeter players as opposed to pounding the ball inside to two 7-footers has caused Howard to be ineffective at times. Jackson masterfully utilized Shaquille O’Neal’s strengths to create opportunities for perimeter players like Derek Fisher, Rick Fox and Robert Horry. Those players made names for themselves by playing off the sport’s biggest name.
So why then, does Howard look lost with these Lakers? There’s the health issue for one — he’s still not fully recovered from a back injury that sidelined him at the end of last season and a torn labrum in his right shoulder that won’t heal fully until treated in the offseason.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency - June 29, 2015
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes - June 15, 2015
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons - June 15, 2015