- Sharks’ playoff hopes to hinge on 3 key players
- Kings beat Flames without suspended Jordan Nolan, 3-2
- NFL free agency 2014: Chargers to sign Donald Brown, per report
- NFL free agency 2014: Golden Tate to visit Detroit Lions
- NCAA Tournament 2014: San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher eyeing top-4 seed
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
Lakers news: Phil Jackson says Dwight Howard’s strengths ‘eliminated’
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Former Los Angeles Lakers head coach and 11-time NBA champion Phil Jackson has separated himself from the team from a professional standpoint, but he, like the rest of the basketball-watching public, has watched the 25-29 team struggle.
“They just don’t put the ball in the post,” Jackson said. “They’ll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there’s no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe [Bryant] will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn’t get any touches. They’ve basically eliminated his assets.”
About Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard — they’ve had their share of differences this season, and Mike D’Antoni’s system of utilizing perimeter players as opposed to pounding the ball inside to two 7-footers has caused Howard to be ineffective at times. Jackson masterfully utilized Shaquille O’Neal’s strengths to create opportunities for perimeter players like Derek Fisher, Rick Fox and Robert Horry. Those players made names for themselves by playing off the sport’s biggest name.
So why then, does Howard look lost with these Lakers? There’s the health issue for one — he’s still not fully recovered from a back injury that sidelined him at the end of last season and a torn labrum in his right shoulder that won’t heal fully until treated in the offseason.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- NFL free agency 2014: Chargers to sign Donald Brown, per report - March 11, 2014
- NFL free agency 2014: Golden Tate to visit Detroit Lions - March 11, 2014
- NCAA Tournament 2014: San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher eyeing top-4 seed - March 11, 2014