- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
Lakers news: Phil Jackson says Dwight Howard’s strengths ‘eliminated’
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Former Los Angeles Lakers head coach and 11-time NBA champion Phil Jackson has separated himself from the team from a professional standpoint, but he, like the rest of the basketball-watching public, has watched the 25-29 team struggle.
“They just don’t put the ball in the post,” Jackson said. “They’ll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there’s no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe [Bryant] will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn’t get any touches. They’ve basically eliminated his assets.”
About Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard — they’ve had their share of differences this season, and Mike D’Antoni’s system of utilizing perimeter players as opposed to pounding the ball inside to two 7-footers has caused Howard to be ineffective at times. Jackson masterfully utilized Shaquille O’Neal’s strengths to create opportunities for perimeter players like Derek Fisher, Rick Fox and Robert Horry. Those players made names for themselves by playing off the sport’s biggest name.
So why then, does Howard look lost with these Lakers? There’s the health issue for one — he’s still not fully recovered from a back injury that sidelined him at the end of last season and a torn labrum in his right shoulder that won’t heal fully until treated in the offseason.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014