- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
- Marcus Mariota and the way-too-early Heisman watch
- Chargers news: Donald Brown ready to lead Bolts’ backfield
Lakers news: Phil Jackson says Dwight Howard’s strengths ‘eliminated’
- Updated: February 19, 2013
Former Los Angeles Lakers head coach and 11-time NBA champion Phil Jackson has separated himself from the team from a professional standpoint, but he, like the rest of the basketball-watching public, has watched the 25-29 team struggle.
“They just don’t put the ball in the post,” Jackson said. “They’ll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there’s no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe [Bryant] will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn’t get any touches. They’ve basically eliminated his assets.”
About Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard — they’ve had their share of differences this season, and Mike D’Antoni’s system of utilizing perimeter players as opposed to pounding the ball inside to two 7-footers has caused Howard to be ineffective at times. Jackson masterfully utilized Shaquille O’Neal’s strengths to create opportunities for perimeter players like Derek Fisher, Rick Fox and Robert Horry. Those players made names for themselves by playing off the sport’s biggest name.
So why then, does Howard look lost with these Lakers? There’s the health issue for one — he’s still not fully recovered from a back injury that sidelined him at the end of last season and a torn labrum in his right shoulder that won’t heal fully until treated in the offseason.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014
- Bud Black on Padres long-term success: ‘It’s more personal’ - September 23, 2014
- 49ers, Cardinals fans brawl in Glendale: How San Francisco lost twice - September 23, 2014